Tvalone

App Data files not installing on new installs

Using Advanced Installer 14.9. I store two files in Application Data under my apps name. If the user is an admin of his machine it works fine. If the user is not and has an admin install it for him then the folder and files do not show up. When I say install the user starts the install and when prompted the admin then enters their credentials in the tile and finishes the install.
Tvalone

Re: App Data files not installing on new installs

I should add that if the customer had the app installed before the uninstall does not remove the folder from app data. Thus a reinstall works. However a customer who is a fresh install does not get the new folder in app data.
Catalin

Re: App Data files not installing on new installs

Hello Toren,

Normally, you do not require any elevated privileges to write under the AppData folder of the current user. You can check this first hand by going to that folder and trying to create a folder.

However, if your installation type is "Per-machine only (fails if user is not administrator)" ("Install Parameters" page -> under "Installation Options" section) then, if the user is not administrator, he will be prompted to enter an Administrator account credentials and, after the user will introduce the credentials, the files will be created.

In order to avoid this, you can change the installation type to "Per-user only". But please keep in mind that by doing so, the files will only be installed for the user that is currently logged on (you can not install the files under the Windows Volume location, e.g. C:\Program Files).

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”