PhilB

Floating Licence Questions

Hi,

I've a few questions regarding floating licences that I can't resolve from either the documentation or other answers in these forums. I'm trying to work out whether floating licences are the correct solution for our environment and if so how many we might need. Any help would be appreciated.

1. Does the priority setting for build servers mean that a normal user can potentially get kicked off at no notice? If so do they lose any unsaved changes?

2. We currently have several build servers for different projects, so it is potentially possible that we could be unlucky and get more than one build server requiring licences at the same time for short periods. Am I correct that there is no automatic "pause and retry" mechanism available and that builds would fail in this scenario?

3. We have developers working remotely in different timezones. If one of them happens to have left an advanced installer session open, is it possible to close the session via the licence server so that another developer can use the licence?

4. Following on from 3... If a remote developer loses internet connectivity to the licence server (which would be located in our local office) are they unable to use advanced installer?

Phil
Daniel

Re: Floating Licence Questions

Hello Phil,

I apologize for the delayed reply.

1. Yes, a normal user has a lower priority than a Build Server. However, please note that when a normal user looses the floating license he does not loose any change he made to the current setup project. The only limitation will be that he cannot issue a setup project build operation.

2. Yes, but there is a workaround. You could build your own build script that calls the "AdvancedInstaller.com" command line utility to edit and or build the setup project and check its exit code. An exit code of 0 means successful execution, while an exit code of 0xE001006D means unable to acquire a floating license (no slots or unable to contact the license server. You could retry the build operation on the later case.

3. Yes, there is a [Revoke] button on the admin license server page which you can use to revoke the license to a certain computer holding the license in use.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (81.74 KiB) Viewed 11697 times
4. They can still use Advanced Installer but the application will run in trail mode. This mean they will be unable to run any setup project build operation, but they will still be allowed to edit and save the project settings.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
EmmanuelV

Hello AdvInst Team!

About the "Revoke" button, is it possible to revoke using a command line? It seems that "advinstlicenseservercli.exe" do not offer this possibility :?

Same question about the "Remove" button for "Computer priority list": Possible with a command line?

Thank you for your help

Emmanuel
Catalin

Hello Emmanuel,

It indeed looks like we currently do not have such command line support for our license server tool.

I will add this improvement on our TODO list and hopefully this will be added in a future version of Advanced Installer.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
EmmanuelV

Thank you for your answer Catalin,

I hope this new feature will be available in the next version ;)

Emmanuel
Catalin

You are always welcome, Emmanuel!

Once the feature will be added, I will make sure to update this forum thread.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin

Hello,

This improvement has been added in version 21.4 of Advanced Installer.

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Common Problems”