Tassc

Different files for 9x / NT install

I would like to build an install that updates a Windows\System file - ole2.dll.

I need to include 2 versions of this file in my build, so I can update the target PC using the correct file depending on the target operating system.

How do I do this? The 2 files have the same name and when I add the second file into the [Windows][System] folder, it overwrites the other file I already included in the build. I'm sure this can be done, but how??? The files exist on my hard disk in separate folders, but must be installed into Windows\System.

If it is a custom command, can someone help me as I don't understand how to use this feature (already tried to use it to delete a target file before install, but couldn't figure out what to do).

Thanks again.
Cata

This can be done, but it is a bit tricky.

1. Place the first file is in Windows\System - where it should be.
2. For the second file - with the same as the first one - create a directory under ApplicationFolder and place this second file in it.
3. Create a custom action of type Directory Set With Formatted -scheduled after InstallInitialize standard action - that has:

Directory: the folder created above under ApplicationFolder-choose it from the Folder Picker dialog that appears when you create the custom action.

Formatted text: [SystemFolder] -use the edit button to insert a reference to the System folder for that.

Now both files will be installed. Set the corresponding condition on the each file component to install only one of this files.

Cata
Catalin Rotaru - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”