Skorpion81

Problem while executing Patch

Hi,

i generate a Setup with AI.
Then i copied the Setup and change in my Resources one File(application1.exe Version 1.0.0 to application1.exe Version 1.0.1).
When i modified the second Setup i changed the Version of the Setup from 1.0.0 to 1.0.1 and selected "No" in the prompted Dialog.

From this two Setups i generate a Patch.

When i execute the Patch i get the following Error:

DEBUG: Error 2356: Couldn't locate cabinet in stream: disk1.cab.

Can you give me a hint how i can fix it?

Thank you!

Skorpion81
Cosmin

Hi,

Please note that in order to create a patch you will create the upgraded package by modifying the original one.

We have a tutorial about patch authoring, please make sure that you follow these steps:
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... patch.html

Let me know if the problem persists after creating the patch like explained in the tutorial.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Skorpion81

thanks, now problem with patch for a multilanguage setup

Hi Cosmin

yes i made a copy of my original Setup and then i modified it (I changed one File from Version 1.0.0 to 1.0.1).

In my researches i find out, that the error not always appears.
I just get this error on one PC.

Maybe it is something special on my PC.

But after that i have got another problem.
My setup is a multilanguage setup. Default language is German.

When i execute the setup in german and patch it. Everthing works fine.
But when i execute the setup in english and then want to execute the patch i get the error:

"The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch."

Do you have any idea?
This error appears on every PC. Doesn't matter if OS is german or english.

Thanks,
Skoprion81
Cosmin

Problem while executing Patch

Hi,

I'm afraid that this cannot be done because it is not permitted by Windows Installer.

The solution is to create a patch for each language and uncheck the "Product must match base database" option for the target image. For example:
- you distribute your multi-language installation package
- when you need to patch the original package you create a MSP patch for each language
- for the English language the "Upgraded" image will be the the English MSI generated by the original multi-language package (in the "en" folder)
- the "Target" image will be the English MSI generated by the upgraded multi-language MSI
- this also applies to the other patches (for the other languages included in the original installation)

Therefore you will have a patch for each language, each patch containing the old and upgraded MSI packages of each language.

Regards,
Cosmin
MarkusHH

Re: Problem while executing Patch

Is the creation of multi language or language neutral patches now possible with Advanced Installer? I read it is possible with WIX.
Daniel

Hello and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

Thank you for your interest in Advanced Installer.

No, unfortunately we don't have support for this. So, you should follow my colleague solution from previous post in order to create patches for multilingual packages.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
MarkusHH

Thanks for the reply.

I tried to create patches for each language but these patches could not be executed. I received the same error message from Windows Installer as when executing the multilingual patch and I could not figure out the reason.
Cosmin

Hi,
I received the same error message from Windows Installer as when executing the multilingual patch and I could not figure out the reason.
What was the exact error message? Also, can you please send us the .AIP (project) files you are using to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can take a look?

Regards,
Cosmin

Return to “Common Problems”