ddegange

Icons assigned to shortcuts not showing after install.

When I create a shortcut to my application, the icon I assign to it does not display either on the desktop or the application folder.

Am using AI 2.4.1.

This is how I create my project.
1) open a new project.
2) add files(I add a directory which has 2 sub directories.> 3) I go to Java Products and add a DMS.exe
4) I then add the jar and set the parms to -Xms64M -Xmx256M and set the class path to the main class.
5) I then click on Desktop on the Files and Folders section and click on
Desktop and then click on the menubar Add Shortcut. I then select
Application Folder and select the DMS.exe file to be the target of my
shortcut. I then click on the button to select an icon and browse to the
directory where my icon is and press ok and an image of my icon shows in
the little window. I save the project and do a build.
6) After doing an install on a target machine, the icon shown is not the one that I assigned to it during my build.

Please help....
Cata

Thanks for the steps, but I wasn't able to reproduce the problem. The icon shows up for me, and its source is: %SystemRoot%\Installer\{AC724B41-2B7F-45A9-8AD9-FD93020A109F}\Your_Product.exe

Maybe there is something wrong on your computer? Have you tried reproducing this on other machines? What OS are you using?

Regards,
Cata
Catalin Rotaru - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Am using Windows 2000 on the target machine.

I view the properties to the shortcut on the desktop and the icon shows this source.
%SystemRoot%\Installer\{732B4932-D108-485F-ABFF-5D5E38A48B4D}\DMS.exe. Similar to what you show.

In that properties box a little window shows a picture of the correct icon. But on the desktop shows an icon I used during one of my first builds. It almost seems like the old image has cached somewhere and won't be released.

What do you think......
Cata

Hmm... restart the machine or try on a different computer.
ddegange

Why does the target of the icon point to the DMS.exe and not to the icon itself?

Sorry if that is a du__ question?

I am puzzled as well..... But need to get this resolved.
Cata

The Target of the shortcut points to the file it launches, not the icon.
ddegange

Correct, But I am speaking about the Change icon window that shows the target of the icon.
Cata

It is because when the icon for the shortcut is added to the package, AdvInst uses the shortcut name to name the icon. And it ends in EXE because Windows Installer weirdness.

It's harmless though. Should not affect the behavior. If you can reproduce this on another computer, please send us the AIP (to support at advanced installer dot com).

Cata

Return to “Common Problems”