Trainee

uninstall doen't replace old file

I need the installer to overwrite a file... if the uninstaller is run or if removed via control panel... the uninstaller indeed removes the new file but does not replace the old one... this is causing serious errors

The original file is a data file... the installer will be replacing with an "improved" data file... on some systems this "improved" data file has caused failures... i would like the users to have the option of a simple uninstall... is there a way to test this in the simple installer

Hag
Cata

The next version of AdvInst, due for release next week, will allow you to specify a file for Removal. Then you can make sure the file is removed before installing the updated version.

Regards,
Cata
Catalin Rotaru - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
trainee

Fast response, thanks... but

the installation is not the issue.... its the uninstall....

i would like the uninstall to remove the file and replace with the original file of the same name...

ForExample... lets say i wrote a "better version" of display.exe; everyone's system must use a version of display.exe or their system fails to boot.... using your installer everyone gets the updates... no problems... installer is great and easy... except on the owner's computer... my new display is causing strange colors and banding lines... he uninstalls using your installer and it removes the display.exe from his system... now it CTDs and he can't get it up and running because the installer removed display.exe but did not replace with the original....

How can i implement this "to save my job :)

Hag
Cata

Just createa a Custom Action - you can do pretty much anything in there...
Catalin Rotaru - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”