cadull

Windows feature XPS Viewer not installing

In newer versions of Windows 10, the way the Windows feature "XPS Viewer" is installed has changed. It used to be listed in the Windows features under Programs and Features, but is now added as an optional feature under Apps and Features. When adding the prerequisite in Advanced Installer, it does not recognise the new XPS Viewer when already installed and does not find the feature when attempting to install it.

Old way:
programs.png
programs.png (13.13 KiB) Viewed 6356 times
New way:
apps.png
apps.png (16.65 KiB) Viewed 6356 times
Catalin

Re: Windows feature XPS Viewer not installing

Hello and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

I have tested this behavior and indeed, you are right. The setup created with Advanced Installer is not longer able to detect the features that were made optional in the latest Windows updates.

I have forwarded this to your development team and this will be fixed in a future version of Advanced Installer. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Some other features I have noticed were turned optional are: "RIP Listener", "Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)".

If you are aware of any other future that turned optional, please let me know.

As a workaround for this (until the issue is fixed), you can try to enable the feature through a custom action.

For instance, you can use the "Deployment Image Servicing and Management" tool. I was able to enable the XPS Viewer feature on my Windows 10 1903 with the following command line:

Code: Select all

dism /online /add-capability /capabilityname:XPS.Viewer~~~~0.0.1.0
Hope this helps somehow.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
cadull

Thank you for investigating and providing a workaround until a fix is released.

For now we have just set the feature unavailable policy to ignore error and continue installation. This is because we are almost ready to release and we expect the support overhead to be minimal from our captive user base.
Catalin

You are always welcome!

I will let you know when this improvement will be added to Advanced Installer by updating this thread.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin

Hello,

This has been fixed in version 17.1 of Advanced Installer, released on May 27th, 2020.

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Common Problems”