codesynergy

Minor Upgrades and IIS

Hello,

Firstly, I want to verify if, by default, minor upgrades (using a full msi package) are supposed to update the IIS WebSites and AppPools that are in your project. If you look at AI_IIsInstall in InstallExecuteSequence of the table editor, the condition is:

Code: Select all

(NOT PATCH AND NOT MSIPATCHREMOVE ) AND (NOT Reinstall AND AI_INSTALL_MODE <> "Repair") AND ((VersionNT >= 500 AND NOT Installed) OR (Installed AND REMOVE <> "ALL" AND AI_INSTALL_MODE <> "Remove"))
This function executes during a minor upgrade. But, I suspect it's not supposed to, and Reinstall should actually be all caps (REINSTALL). REINSTALL is defined in a minor upgrade, Reinstall is not.

Secondly, I'm experiencing an issue where minor upgrades are resulting in the removal of my IIS WebSites and AppPools. However, I can't seem to find anything in the msi log file that says what the problem is. Best I can tell, AI_IIsInstall is failing (don't know why) and triggering AI_IIsRollback, which removes the IIS WebSites and AppPools that my product originally installed. Is there a way to obtain more information on what exactly is failing and why it is failing? I have the MSI logging set to "/l*vx", which logs everything. But, the AI_IIS* functions don't seem to output much logging information. An excerpt from the log file is attached.

Thanks.
Attachments
AI_IIS_Log.txt
(58.61 KiB) Downloaded 318 times
Daniel

Re: Minor Upgrades and IIS

Hi,

First of all your assumption is right, our "AI_IIsInstall" custom action should not run during a minor upgrade installation. In regards to why we use "Reinstall" (instead of public REINSTALL property) in the condition field of our custom action I will have to further check on this with my dev team and get back to you once I have a conclusion.

To further investigate the root cause of your web site removal upon a minor installation could you please send us by email at support at advancedinstaller dot com the following resources:

1. the .AIP (setup project file) of your old setup project
2. the .AIP (setup project file) of your updated setup project
3. a debug log of the minor upgrade installation

so we can fully test and investigate this on our side?

To generate a debug log just run your minor upgrade using a command line like this:

Code: Select all

msiexec.exe /i setup/msi AI_DEBUGLOG=1 /L*V debuglog.txt
All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
TheRocket

Hello!

I'm facing a similar issue where Application pools are "rollbacked" after an upgrade / install.

Was there conclusions about this issue? I will create a new post for my issue to avoid mixing things up.

Thanks!
Eusebiu

Hi,

Please see my reply from the "preserve customizations between IIS updates VS Upgrades" thread that you started about this issue.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”