alphonseg

Visual Studio Project Output Changes

When there are changes to my VS project output (E.G. references updated, added or removed), will AI automatically handle that? Or do I need to update Files and Folders manually?
Catalin

Re: Visual Studio Project Output Changes

Hello Alphonse,

If the output of your Visual Studio project changes, then you may need to add that output to the Advanced Installer project by using the "Add project output" button.

Hope this helps. If not, please give me some more details about your scenario so I can further assist.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
alphonseg

Thanks.
I use DevExpress controls in my projects.
So, project output will include files like DevExpress.xxx.v20.1.dll.
When DevExpress releases a new version, I run their project converter utility to update my projects to the new release.
That may change DevExpress.xxx.v20.1.dll to be DevExpress.xxx.v20.2.dll.
Another case is where I add a new item from the VS toolbox to my project. This automatically adds a new reference to my project output.
Currently, I use Installlshield LE in VS2015 (only reason still using 2015) to build my installer. I change the Product Version and Product Code. Then simply build the solution. Installshield includes the project output changes without me doing anything else.
For newer versions of VS I need a new installer and don't want Installshield for several reasons not worth mentioning here. One of the reasons I'm trying AI is support.
So, if I understand correctly. with AI, for either of the above instances, I'll need to use 'Add project output' via the VS GUI. Correct?
Catalin

Hello Alphonse,

Thank you for your further explanation.

It looks like I misunderstood your scenario here, please accept my apologies for that.
I use DevExpress controls in my projects.
So, project output will include files like DevExpress.xxx.v20.1.dll.
When DevExpress releases a new version, I run their project converter utility to update my projects to the new release.
That may change DevExpress.xxx.v20.1.dll to be DevExpress.xxx.v20.2.dll.
Everything here will be handled automatically.
Another case is where I add a new item from the VS toolbox to my project. This automatically adds a new reference to my project output.
This is also done automatically.
So, if I understand correctly. with AI, for either of the above instances, I'll need to use 'Add project output' via the VS GUI. Correct?
As I have mentioned above, Advanced Installer will do this automatically for you, therefore you do not need to do any manual work.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
alphonseg

Thank you!
Catalin

You are always welcome, Alphonse!

Best regards,
Catalin