tpatke

Install Path Failure

Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:03 pm

Hi,

I have recently added a 'InstallTypeDlg' to my installation project. I have just discovered that this breaks the user specified Installation Path. So, if a user specifies a directory other than the default "Program Files" directory, the installer ignores this and installs to "Program Files" anyway.

I have noticed that if I install the previous version, the target installation path is respected. If I upgrade this installation using the new installer, the custom path (set during the previous install) is set respected.

Also, the Installation Path is set before the user has chosen to install 'Only for me' or 'All Users'. Shouldn't the path be set after this decision? ...and only if the 'All Users' option is selected?

Any idea where the problem could be? How can I debug this? I am using Advanced Installer Professional.

Thanks,

Toby

Catalin

Re: Install Path Failure

Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:08 pm

Hello Toby,
Also, the Installation Path is set before the user has chosen to install 'Only for me' or 'All Users'. Shouldn't the path be set after this decision? ...and only if the 'All Users' option is selected?
This is exactly the reason why the path is reset.

Basically, depending on the decision the user makes in the "InstallTypeDlg" dialog, a default path is set.

To avoid this, please move the "InstallTypeDlg" dialog before the "FolderDlg" dialog (drag and drop).

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

tpatke

Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:17 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Catalin.

I had a 'InstallDlg' which collects the folder information before progressing InstallTypeDlg and I cannot change the order. It looks like this dialog type is either no longer supported, or not supported with this build type. I will revisit the dialogs and see if I can get it working.

Thanks for your help!

Toby

Catalin

Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:31 pm

You are always welcome, Toby!

Indeed, the "InstallDlg" dialog replaces the "FolderDlg" dialog.

However, changing the orders should still work - I tested this just now with the Professional version and it worked.
InstallTypeDlg.png
InstallTypeDlg.png (22.14KiB)Viewed 6530 times

Best regards,
Catalin

tpatke

Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:01 pm

Thanks for the update.

I am working on this now. It's a little weird. The InstallTypeDlg shows a Back button even if the WelcomeDlg is not provided. So the Welcome dialog is required just so the Back button doesn't look stupid. Once on the InstallDlg page, there is no Back button. Which is a weird because the InstallTypeDlg page had one.

I tried taking the InstallDlg out and use FolderDlg + LicenseAgreementDlg instead, but it is a bit clunky. I am using a black theme, so the LicenseAgreementDlg doesn't look right. It is on a black background that looks like I am trying to hide something. :-)

However, I can see that the path is updated. I guess it works, but... It's clunky.

It is worth mentioning that I don't even want the InstallTypeDlg. These hoops are just trying to get around the other issue I am having which I raised here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49173

It may be time to upgrade. If I could get that other question answered, that might help with the decision.

Thanks again,

Toby

tpatke

Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:12 pm

Just a note to say that the other support ticket has now been resolved. The fix applied there removes the problem discussed here, so please consider this ticket closed as well.

Thanks again,

Toby

Catalin

Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:13 pm

Hello Toby,

Thank you for your followup on this.

I am glad to hear that!

Best regards,
Catalin