davidjhomer

BUG: Cannot install services as NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE is non-English versions of Windows

When you install a service using Advanced installer and want to use the NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE account you can enter this name and it works correctly however this is not possible in foreign languages - for example below on a French server.

Option 1: AUTORITE NT\SERVICE LOCAL
If you enter the full account name the service is installed but doesn't start.

Option 2: SERVICE LOCAL
If you enter the username without the NT AUTHORITY part the service doesn't even install

CENTREL Solutions Ltd
Server audit and documentation tools.
http://www.centrel-solutions.com
Catalin

Re: BUG: Cannot install services as NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE is non-English versions of Windows

Hello David,

As per the following article:

LocalService Account
While the security subsystem localizes this account name, the SCM does not support localized names. Therefore, you will receive a localized name for this account from the LookupAccountSid function, but the name of the account must be NT AUTHORITY\LocalService when you call CreateService or ChangeServiceConfig, regardless of the locale, or unexpected results can occur.
With that being said, I believe you might want to leave that as the English version, i.e.: "NT AUTHORITY\LocalService"

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
davidjhomer

Re: BUG: Cannot install services as NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE is non-English versions of Windows

Yes that works thanks!

I was trying "NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE" which works for English language but does not work for non-English.

It would be good to have this in the AdvancedInstaller documentation as I was also trying to use the built in properties [DOMAIN_NT_AUTHORITY]\[USR_LOCAL_SERVICE] which was obviously not helping either.
CENTREL Solutions Ltd
Server audit and documentation tools.
http://www.centrel-solutions.com
Catalin

Hello David,

Awesome, I am glad it works!
It would be good to have this in the AdvancedInstaller documentation as I was also trying to use the built in properties [DOMAIN_NT_AUTHORITY]\[USR_LOCAL_SERVICE] which was obviously not helping either.
Thank you for your suggestion. I will forward this to our Technical Writing team.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”