tom5870

Symantec issue with installers

As of 20.1 and 20.2, getting Heur.AdvML.B from Symantec whenever I try to copy an installer

Excuse me if this asked before, but I searched for the symantec and didn't find anything.
Catalin

Re: Symantec issue with installers

Hello Tom,

I'm afraid that is, most likely, a false positive detection.

Please review the article as it is explained there how to further proceed when this happens.

Before each release, our support team always inputs, on VirusTotal, all our binaries (executables, dlls, etc.) to be scanned. If something pops up, we then contact the respective vendor for whitelisting.

Hope it helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
tom5870

THanks for the article (I had found VirusTotal from a search after posting). I wouldn't be concerened except six other vendors are detecting it also.
Attachments
virustotal.png
virustotal.png (189.34 KiB) Viewed 4368 times
Catalin

Hello Tom,

I would say that few of these vendors we can safely ignore.

I remember having issues with a customer in the past because Rising was detecting his setup.

I myself submitted the setup for whitelisting and they did not answer, even to this day.

In addition to that, if you go to their website, it's all in Chinese and can barely find anything.

Here, I would say we proceed by submitting the setup for whitelisting to the following vendors:

- Avast
- AVG
- Symantec

I would say that you can then safely distribute your setup to your clients.

I'm afraid this will be something needed constantly (for instance, before each release). This is something we do on our end as well to ensure no issues will rise on our customers' ends.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
tom5870

Thank you for the reply. We used the intaller to sign it and it seems to get around the false detetion with Symantec at least.
Catalin

You are always welcome, Tom!

Glad to hear that.

Yes, usually, it is expected to have your setup signed, this is a best practice. :)

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Common Problems”