intactfw

Changed Temp Structure When Updating

Hello!

We've found a changed behavior since we have upgraded to Advanced Installer v20.2.1. The latest version shows the same behavior:

An update to our application used to be downloaded in here:

c:\users\<user>\AppData\Local\Temp\923d35cbe2f12a7411c44176acf1b72a\MyUpdater.exe

but now the path looks like this (notice the missing slash between temp and the long ID):

c:\users\<user>\AppData\Local\Temp923d35cbe2f12a7411c44176acf1b72a\MyUpdater.exe

We can't find any reference to this directory structure in our .AIP files, so we assume that this is a hidden detail. Did this change happen on purpose? We have a customer who has issues with our updater since they restrict writes to the AppData\Local directory.

Thank you for your insights!
Attachments
temp.png
temp.png (18.74 KiB) Viewed 23408 times
Catalin

Re: Changed Temp Structure When Updating

Hello,

If possible, could you please give me some more details about your scenario so I can better understand it?

So far, it is clear for me what the issue is, but I'm afraid I do not quite understand when that happens. A step by step test-case so I can reproduce this on my end would be great.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
intactfw

Hi Catalin,

I hope this captures what we are seeing:

- Create a setup for an application with e.g. Advanced Installer 20.2.1
- Install said setup on a computer ("first installation")
- Create a new setup with a higher version number
- Make this new setup available to the automatic updater
- The next time you start the application (or start the automatic updater) the update prompt should pop up
- While downloading the new setup, a directory similar to "c:\users\<user>\AppData\Local\Temp923d35cbe2f12a7411c44176acf1b72a\MyUpdater.exe" will be created

Thank yo four your help!
Catalin

Hello,

Thank you for your followup on this and for sharing with me the reproduction steps.

Before I test this, however, could you please update to our latest version and let me know if this is fixed?

We've recently had an issue that seems related to this which has been fixed in version 20.7 of Advanced Installer. I just happened to find this in our bug tracking tool today.

Best regards,
Catalin
intactfw

Hi,

sorry I have been unclear in my initial post: I could reproduce this bug using Advanced Installer 20.2.1 as well as 20.7.1.
Catalin

Hello,

First of all, thank you very much for your followup on this!

I have run some tests and I was indeed able to reproduce the described behavior.

I have now reported this to our dev team and hopefully it will be fixed in a future version of Advanced Installer.

When that will happen, I will update this thread.

Best regards,
Catalin
Eusebiu

Hello,

This issue was fixed in Advanced Installer 20.9.1 that was released on August 8, 2023.

If you still have issues, just let us know.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Common Problems”