sjblack@gmail.com

What happened to 20.9 upgrade

We recently upgraded a project to the latest version 20.9. Our azure DevOps build pipeline (that installs the latest on start up) is now failing to compile them with the following error.

This project (fragment) was edited with a newer version of Advanced Installer (20.9) and cannot be loaded.

I can't seem to download this version via the upgrade mechanism either (assuming the azure DevOps build task uses the same thing). But it is available manually.

Any assistant appreciated.
Dan

Re: What happened to 20.9 upgrade

Hi,

With the 20.9 version of Advanced Installer, we introduced a major redesign of the Prerequisite support. However, after the release, we discovered some issues that were not covered by our testing, leading to unexpected behavior for some use cases. We are actively working on addressing these issues, and the 20.9.1 version with improvements and fixes is on its way and will be released soon.

To minimize the impact on our users, we removed the entry for the 20.9 version from the .ini file to limit notifications about this release. Although the 20.9 version can still be downloaded from our website, the Updater will not prompt existing users to update to this version.

In your specific case, it seems that you made changes using the 20.9 version and saved them in your repository. However, when the DevOps plugin runs, it checks the .ini file from our server to determine the latest version, and as a result, it installs the 20.8 version, which causes the error you encountered.

But don't worry, we have a couple of workarounds to help you proceed smoothly.

In your Variables tab, please create the following variable:
advinst.png
advinst.png (52.06 KiB) Viewed 46050 times
The plugin will download the 20.9 and the build will be successful.

Another workaround is to revert your project to 20.8 version, before upgrading to 20.9. This workaround is available only if the project was created with a version lower than 20.9 version.

Once again, thank you for your patience and understanding. We are actively working to resolve these issues and provide you with a more stable and improved version in the 20.9.1 release.

If you have any further questions or need assistance, please feel free to reach out to us. We are here to help.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
sjblack@gmail.com

Okay, We have rollbacked this project back to 20.8 as we did experience issues with the features UI after the update. Can you reply to this thread when its stable enough to revert the our DevOps pipeline to the latest release (currently fixed to 20.8).
Liviu

Hello,

We will make sure to keep you informed about the progress and stability of the newer releases. Rest assured that we are committed to providing a stable and reliable product for our users.

Once we have thoroughly tested and addressed the reported issues, we will notify you when it's safe to revert your DevOps pipeline to the latest release. Your feedback and patience are highly appreciated, and we'll do our best to ensure a smooth and trouble-free transition to the updated version. Advanced Installer version 20.9.1 will most likely be released on Monday. We will let you know.

If you have any further questions or encounter any issues, please don't hesitate to reach out to us.

Best regards,
Liviu

I'm on 20.9 and the auto update is asking me to upgrade to 20.8, is that expected? Also, the 20.9 upgrade broke minor upgrades where the Product Code is not changed.
Liviu

Hello Collins,

Yes, this happens because we've taken down the update to 20.9 from our server. Because of some issues that are present to the "Prerequisites" support we didn't want to let it on our website anymore until we come up with a point release.

We expect our next version that will address the issues with the prerequisites to be released later today or tomorrow.
Also, the 20.9 upgrade broke minor upgrades where the Product Code is not changed.
Regarding this, can you please take a look at the Product Code Not Refreshing With AI 20.7.0+ forum thread and see if this is the case for you?

Best regards,
Liviu

Liviu wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:50 pm
Also, the 20.9 upgrade broke minor upgrades where the Product Code is not changed.
Regarding this, can you please take a look at the Product Code Not Refreshing With AI 20.7.0+ forum thread and see if this is the case for you?

Best regards,
Liviu
Thank you. Yes, that seems to be the issue. I wasn't aware that was even there.
Liviu

Hello Guys,

Advanced Installer 20.9.1 is now online:

https://www.advancedinstaller.com/download.html

Please let us know if you have any issues with the prerequisites.
Thank you. Yes, that seems to be the issue. I wasn't aware that was even there.
You're always welcome, Collins!

Best regards,
Liviu

Liviu wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:35 pm Advanced Installer 20.9.1 is now online:
https://www.advancedinstaller.com/download.html
Please let us know if you have any issues with the prerequisites.

The "Folder" setting for a URL-based prerequisite still seems to be ignored. The file is downloaded to a folder name based on the PrereqKey of the prerequisite, regardless of the "Folder" setting. I think this is something that used to work in 20.1.

If it worked, it would give me a solution to the prerequisite download issue I posted here.
Liviu

Hello,

I have replied to your other thread.

We apologize for any inconvenience you've experienced.

Best regards,
Liviu

Return to “Common Problems”