colin.miller

SQL Server Express 2017 prereq issue

Hello,

Prior to upgrading to Advanced Installer 21.0.1 I had a working .aip file (I think it was last built around version 20.8.x) that would install SQL Server Express 2017 as a prereq just fine with the following command line:

/Q /x:C:\tmp\myfolder\SQLServer2017Media /IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS /ACTION=install /FEATURES=SQL /INSTANCENAME=TEST123 /SECURITYMODE=SQL /SAPWD="password" /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS="NT Authority\System" /ADDCURRENTUSERASSQLADMIN=True

after upgrading to 21.0.1 and building the same .aip project, it appears to have broken something. I have seen similar posts related to prereqs and the changes therein, so if this is a known issue please let me know, but I did not see someone with my exact issue.

I guess my question is what needs to change? I see a new UI option with dropdown options "Full UI", "Basic UI and progress", "Silent install (no UI)", "Same as main package" and I am unsure what I am supposed to choose since the /Q parameter specifies the "quiet" behavior. Additionally, I am unsure about the "Configure" menu that is next to the "UI Level" dropdown. There appears to be a redundant section for additional Command Lines, one for Basic UI and Silent UI. I have tried all sorts of combinations of the command line options but nothing seems to be working. The log didn't turn up anything useful either...

Action ended 20:54:22: AI_InstallPrePrerequisite. Return value 1.
MSI (c) (8C:B8) [20:54:22:011]: Doing action: AI_VerifyPrePrereq
Action start 20:54:22: AI_VerifyPrePrereq.
MSI (c) (8C:18) [20:54:22:105]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\MSI4012.tmp, Entrypoint: VerifyPrePrereq
MSI (c) (8C!E4) [20:55:06:011]: Product: [NAME_OF_PRODUCT] -- Error 4153. SQL Server Express 2017 mandatory prerequisite was not correctly installed.

CustomAction AI_VerifyPrePrereq returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
Action ended 20:55:06: AI_VerifyPrePrereq. Return value 3.
MSI (c) (8C:B8) [20:55:06:027]: Doing action: FatalError
Action start 20:55:06: FatalError.
Liviu

Re: SQL Server Express 2017 prereq issue

Hello,

Sorry for the delayed reply on this.

Can you please try adding the /SkipInstallerRunCheck parameter to the command line field?

Something like this: /Q /x:C:\tmp\myfolder\SQLServer2017Media /IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS /SkipInstallerRunCheck /ACTION=install /FEATURES=SQL /INSTANCENAME=TEST123 /SECURITYMODE=SQL /SAPWD="password" /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS="NT Authority\System" /ADDCURRENTUSERASSQLADMIN=True

If that does not help, can you please send us the old .AIP (setup project) file and a download link for your setup package by email to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can further test and investigate this?

Best regards,
Liviu

Return to “Common Problems”