kmi

Service upgrade is removing service and executable (was working)

I am running into an issue where my service upgrades are no longer upgrading. It is going through the process, I can see it uninstall, remove the service, it then puts back all the files except for my service executable and the service in Windows. I've been using this for a while and haven't had an issue until now, so I'm not sure what I have done.

I've attached the installer log files but replaced a lot of the words in it to hide some information. The install is set to start/stop on install and stop/delete on uninstall. The upgrade code remains the same but the product code changes with each new version. It is set to automatically upgrade and to uninstall first then install the new version.
Attachments
MSIA481.LOG
(937.56 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
Catalin

Re: Service upgrade is removing service and executable (was working)

Hello and welcome to our forums,

Thank you for providing the log file.

Upon further investigation, I found the following in the log:

Code: Select all

MSI (c) (58:9C) [09:29:35:665]: Disallowing installation of component: {9228A14E-E735-4BBA-B6DD-1203ADD43AF5} since the same component with higher versioned keyfile exists
Basically the MSI has some versioning rules and it will only reinstall the files if the version is higher.

For more information about this, please have a look over the following FAQ:

Why some files/assemblies are missing from the installation folder when performing an upgrade?

Note: you can check the component GUID, as shown in the log by going to "Files and folders" page --> select the EXE that is not reinstalled --> right click on it --> "Go to Component".

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”