stefan_riediger

Setup Fails when created with Version 21 and using Enhanced UI

Dear Advanced Installer Team,

I have upgraded our Advanced Installer Installations to Version 21 which causes the Setup to fail.

Unfortunately the root cause is not 100% clear, but here are the points which I have figured out so far.

The failure occurs directly after pressing Install on the Ready to Install dialog. Then the message box Are you sure you want to cancel <Product Name> installation? [Yes] [No] is displayed and the setup can't be successfully completed.

The problem occur if ALL conditions are true
[*] When the setup was created with version 21. (21.0.1 and 21.1).
[*] It is related to the Enhanced User Interface. This means when setting Themes>Settings>User Interface>Use Enhanced User Interface to Always or Only on install
[*] When running on a real computer (Windows 10 22H2 19045.3561 and Windows 11 22H2 22621.2283. (no VM)

The problem does NOT occur if ANY conditions is true
[*] when the setup was created with version 20.9.1 and before
[*] Themes>Settings>User Interface set to Never
[*] When running the setup In Virtual Machines with different Windows OSes.

Further information
[*] It is not reproducible with the smallest "Hello World" kind Setup created with Advanced Installer. (New Project; Add Notepad; Build). Probably the problem is related to prerequisite check. I have to investigate it further.

If you like I can send you log files and a screenshot from the installation process where the setup works (VM or created with 20.9.1) and doesn't work (Real computer and created with 21.x). Because it contains some sensitive data don't want to add it in the forum.
Liviu

Re: Setup Fails when created with Version 21 and using Enhanced UI

Hello Stefan,

Thank you for bringing the issue to our attention. We greatly appreciate your feedback. I want to inform you that our development team is already aware of this issue and actively working on a fix. Following the update that introduced the MSI Embedded UI feature in version v21.0, this problem started occurring. From our tests, this is reproduced when you have EUI enabled and a PowerShell script on the Install button.

Rest assured that your concern is receiving the attention it deserves, and we are committed to resolving it as soon as possible. We will keep you updated on the progress and notify you once the fix is available.

We apologize for any inconvenience you've experienced.

Best regards,
Liviu

Hi Liviu,

Thank you very much for the information.
I will revert our projects meanwhile.

best regards,
Stefan
Liviu

Hi Stefan,

You're welcome! If you have any more questions or if there's anything else I can assist you with, feel free to reach out. Have a great day!

Best regards,
Liviu

Hello Stefan,

This has been fixed in version 21.2 of Advanced Installer.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”