mauro67

msi wrapper creation that runs in a single process

Good morning everyone

I need to create several msi wrappers for our deployment service (MECM)
The MECM deployment service requires (mandatory) that this msi be executed in a single process from start to end.

In my msi I have to put several prerequisites, both exe and msi with input parameters.
I have no problem creating these "future based" prerequisites (During Main Package).

The problem is that when I run my msi its process is not synchronous with the prerequisites installation.
The msi creates and runs an "aipackagechainer" with its process and exits (the msi process) before the "aipackagechainer" process is finished.

How can I create an msi with these prerequisites that runs in a single process?
I saw that the only way is to create a "chaind package" BUT it ONLY accepts simple msi without input parameters, and I need to use exe and msi with input parameters.

thank you for the support
regards

Mauro
Catalin

Re: msi wrapper creation that runs in a single process

Hello Mauro and welcome to our forums,

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what you want to achieve is doable.

It is indeed true that in order to launch the prerequisites, we have a custom tool called aipackagechainer.exe.

The reason for this is the old OS limitation that does not allow two installations happening at the same time on the same machine.

The process works something as it follows:

- user launches the setup --> UI is displayed

- when the user presses the "Install" button, we launch aipackagechainer which will launch the prerequisite(s). This is happening right before the installation of the main package so we avoid above said limitation.

Note: on silent installations of the main package, since no buttons will be displayed, the feature-based prerequisites (during main package) will be installed as post-install.

- after the prerequisites are installed, we come back to the main process and start the installation of the main package.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”