infomaniacdev

Error Signing an exe-file

I run into a weird problem.
We have two versions of our software. I make the setup for the one version and the signing runs smootly.
I change the branch in our git, make the new version and run constantly into this error:

The digital signing of the EXE failed. Error message: 'Done Adding Additional Store
Error information: "Error: SignerSign() failed." (-2147024671/0x800700e1)
SignTool Error: An unexpected internal error has occurred.
File "C:\AddInEntwicklung\AdvancedInstaller Projekte\SelectLine Shopware 6\maniacseller-advancedinstaller\Setup Files\maniacSeller-easySetup-Assistent-Gen2.exe" can not be signed!

For a possible solution please check our Digital Signature FAQ from:
https://www.advancedinstaller.com/user- ... ature.html '

Build finished because an error was encountered.

I can not find any helpful information to this error message
squagel

Re: Error Signing an exe-file

I too am receiving the same error.
aclay

I'm seeing the same as well. Has anyone determined a cause/resolution?

I'm using an installer with a bootstrap .exe. and see this error when the exe is signed:

Code: Select all

Creating EXE file 
Signing EXE file 
The digital signing of the EXE failed. Error message: 'Done Adding Additional Store
SignTool Error: An unexpected internal error has occurred.
Brian Modra

I got the same error, only on EXE.
0x800700e1 is when the virus scanner finds something. In this case:
Trojan:Win32/Sabsik.FL.B!ml

I.m still trying to work out if this is just a false positive, and if so, how to avoid it.
Brian Modra

I installed a new version of Advanced Installer 21 onto our build (Windows Server) VM this morning.
Virus scanner is now sees Trojan:Win32/Sabsik.FL.B!ml in the newly created exe when Advanced Installer tries to sign it.
Error in the build log was:

Code: Select all

I updated everything on the box, and rebooted it.
I ran a full scan on that box, no trojan found.

When signtool makes its changes to the EXE file, the virus scanner gets a false positive.
but if I disable the virus scan, re-run the build, it works.
Then I scanned the resultant EXE, and it showed no sign of any threat.

I was hoping that updating Windows Security would solve the problem, but it did not.
Does anyone have any ideas?
JordyMeng2

I am having the exact same issue. The MSI is able to be signed through digital signing but the executable gives the same error as you are describing. This looks like an Advanced Installer specific issue since signing the installer executable without Advanced Installer (so manually through a batch file or cmd line) works fine. Nothing changed on our end.

Anyone knows why this is suddenly happening?
Daniel

Hi,

Unfortunately these seems to be false positive detections of Windows Defender. The quickest action you can implement will be to add a Defender exclusion on the output folder where your setup project is built.

The best practice when such false positive detection occurs is to submit a report to Windows Defender. To do so you can proceed like this:

1. Go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\<version>, and then run MpCmdRun.exe as an administrator.

2. Type mpcmdrun.exe -GetFiles, and then press Enter.

3. A .cab file is generated that contains various diagnostic logs. The location of the file is specified in the output of the command prompt. By default, the location is C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Support\MpSupportFiles.cab.

4. Submit a false positive report to Windows Defender and upload there your .CAB file

Alternatively you can write us an email at support at advancedinstaller dot com and we will submit to Windows Defender the .CAB file for you.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
JordyMeng2

Daniel wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:36 am Hi,

Unfortunately these seems to be false positive detections of Windows Defender. The quickest action you can implement will be to add a Defender exclusion on the output folder where your setup project is built.

The best practice when such false positive detection occurs is to submit a report to Windows Defender. To do so you can proceed like this:

1. Go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\<version>, and then run MpCmdRun.exe as an administrator.

2. Type mpcmdrun.exe -GetFiles, and then press Enter.

3. A .cab file is generated that contains various diagnostic logs. The location of the file is specified in the output of the command prompt. By default, the location is C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Support\MpSupportFiles.cab.

4. Submit a false positive report to Windows Defender and upload there your .CAB file

Alternatively you can write us an email at support at advancedinstaller dot com and we will submit to Windows Defender the .CAB file for you.

All the best,
Daniel
Hi Daniel,

This was indeed the issue. Thank you for your help :)
Daniel

You're welcome!

Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”