Sl4ck3r

Project path variable and Builds

Hello, i hope this topic will be useful and motivate you to fix this issue asap, because the project path variable feature and associated build seems to be almost useless in this way. Open your AIP project and let's start.

1 - Go to "Properties" section Create a project path variable and assign to it several different paths for each build available. The UI Dialog "impose" to specify a default path value otherwise you can't move foward. Ok.

2 - Go to "Project -> Options" on tab "Path Variables" and set "Automatically convert using existing path variables".

2 - Go to "Files and Folders" section and try to add a folder ( regular folder ) and on syncronizing flag = true, make it points to a path on file system that "matches" with one of the value of the property you specified in any build. On selected, this should lead to make the field filled with the property value that matches...instead it fallbacks to "<WindowsVolume>\...\...etc.."; the only case where it's filled with the path variable is just - AND ONLY - you specified a path on file system that match with the default value you specified in the path variable when you configured it at beginning and NOT in those ones that match to build, different by the default one. This happen even you set the build in the "Properties" section and you see the value of path variable that changes, before you move to "Files and Folders" section. Actually, there's not dynamic "catching" about the value of path variable/build on syncronizing feature.

3 - In order to getting a syncronizing, you have to set FROM START - in syncronizing field path - the path on file system that matches with the default value you configured the path variable and this will catch the path variable in syncronizing path field; after this that build changes in "Properties" section will be responsive to the syncronizing in folder in "Files and Folders" being this was configured at beginning to point to path variable and is "listening" to its changes... but is not the end....and the follow issue is...

4 - Refreshing the syncronizing will refresh ONLY the files inside the root folder set for syncronizing and NOT eventual sub-folder or added folder that could exist in the new build path; so no added folders will be refreshed/added in syncronizing process.

Another issue in syncronize is: if previous path variable had files that new path variable value doesn't have ( another build couldn't have some files ), that files remaning in list with "???" sign, blocking the whole building ( file not found error ). Removing manually them is impossible as at next refresh their appear again. Great trouble. That is very buggy business logic.

That's all. You can easily guess how much this issues make the project path variable and related build configurations useless, especially in a delicated syncronize feature. Raise priority to fix this issue asap, because make this features highly inconsistent.
Catalin

Re: Project path variable and Builds

Hello,

I'm afraid that your scenario is a corner case and can not have a high priority on our TODO list, because not many customers will request this.

Thank you for your understanding!

If there's anything else I could help you with, please let me know and I will gladly assist.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Sl4ck3r

Corner case ? But it causes the syncronize feature with path variable pretty unuseful and inconsistent. The fact that many users don't reported these multiple issues doesn't mean they didn't face it, because it's enough evident that it's broken. As you can read it's hard to describe and explain and it's easy moving foward and going manually rather spend time to report it. How much users posted and issue with this level of details ? Fewer ones. Is it a corner case that the path variables with builds does not work at all and its support is totally broken and inconsistent ? It's easy to think that this support was implemented but never tested, because it's hard to think the opposite.

I guess that syncronizing path field issues with path variables it's very frequent and common problem instead and not a corner case.
Catalin

Hello,

Please note I have replied to your email ticket.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”