Paulklerkx

VMCI is not enabled Error

Hi, I'm trying to build a packaging VM in VMware workstation but when I do the "prepare VM" stage, i get a message as per the attachment "VMCI.jpg"

- "The Virtual Machine Communication Interface (VMCI) is not enabled. Please see our online documentation for details on how to enable it. "

Can someone supply the Advanced Installer online documentation link for enabling VMCI in VMware Workstation please?
I am currently using Version 16.2.2 build-19200509 of VMware workstation Pro and Version 21.1 of Advanced Installer (Architect).

I found some old VMware documentation from VMware workstation 7, that says "For VMware Workstation, select VM > Settings > Options > Guest Isolation > Enable VMCI"
As per the "Guest Isolation.jpg" attachment, you can see that isn't an option in V16.2.2 of VMware workstation.
Attachments
Guest Isolation.jpg
Guest Isolation.jpg (59.43 KiB) Viewed 10198 times
VMCI.jpg
VMCI.jpg (84.52 KiB) Viewed 10198 times
Catalin

Re: VMCI is not enabled Error

Hello Paul and welcome to our forums,

On VMWare Workstation, we establish a connection with the virtual machine using VMCI sockets. However, there might be cases where, for example, a Windows update corrupts the VMCI driver and thus the connection fails. In our latest Advanced Installer releases, we automatically detect if a VMCI connection could not be made and attempt a TCP/IP connection.

In your case, it looks like this might be the issue.

However, we would have to download that specific version of VMWare Workstation to do some tests on our end.

I will forward this to our dev team and as soon as I will have more information on this, I will followup on this topic.

In the meantime, you could use the "Repackage in Sandbox" option which is much easier to use (you would need to enable the Sandbox feature In Windows).

Thank you for your understanding and patience!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Paulklerkx

Hi, thankyou for the response.

Re Sandbox, i tried the sandbox option but it also fails with an error 0x80070569 logon failure which appears to be related to a built-in account requiring "logon as a service" access. being a change to security, i'll have to sort that out with Cyber first. https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows- ... 0x80070569

The app was needed by today so I packaged locally and manually cleaned up the reg keys and files that looked like they shouldn't have been captured. Probably not as clean as it could have been, but it'll do for that one. I'd like to get this working for next time though.
Paulklerkx

Also, I have just submitted a request to get upgraded to the latest version of Vmware workstation, so testing with that would be ok too.
Catalin

Hello Paul,
The app was needed by today so I packaged locally and manually cleaned up the reg keys and files that looked like they shouldn't have been captured. Probably not as clean as it could have been, but it'll do for that one. I'd like to get this working for next time though.
Glad you managed to get this working!
Re Sandbox, i tried the sandbox option but it also fails with an error 0x80070569 logon failure which appears to be related to a built-in account requiring "logon as a service" access. being a change to security, i'll have to sort that out with Cyber first. https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows- ... 0x80070569
Regarding this error, I'm afraid I can't say for sure what a fix for it is as I've never encountered it.
Also, I have just submitted a request to get upgraded to the latest version of Vmware workstation, so testing with that would be ok too.
If possible, please let me know if you encoutner the same issue with the latest version as well.

Best regards,
Catalin
Paulklerkx

Thanks for your response. in the end, I reimaged my machine, installed the latest AI and VMW and everything is now functional.
Catalin

Thank you for your followup on this, Paul!

I am glad to hear everything is working as expected now.

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Common Problems”