IanBrooke

False Positive in Norton

I'm totally unsure what to do about this. Everytime I build an installer (either exe or msi) and scan it with Norton it detects a virus heur.advml.b and deletes the file, if I scan the file with BitDefender it finds nothing so I'm guessing this is a false positive. However, the point is that I'm in the process of making a number of large-scale changes to the exe, these have to go to a number of users for testing, probably a number of times, many of them do use Norton and it would be a real problem if their systems kept rejecting these installers.
I have no idea what to do about this.

All suggestions most welcome.
Thank you
Catalin

Re: False Positive in Norton

Hello Ian,

Unfortunately, this is a false positive, as you mentioned.

False positive virus detection

The only thing we can do here is the following:

- add the build folder as an exception in Norton

- after the final build of your product is done, submit the EXE for false positive - they should have an online form for this or maybe directly from the app itself

- repeat step 2 for further builds

Although I understand this might be a bit frustrating, this is something we do as well before each official release - we scan on VirusTotal and for each vendor we submit the setup package, wait for confirmation of whitelisting and then publish the release.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
IanBrooke

Thanks for replying.

I have submitted the latest build to Norton and waiting for their results, they say it can take up to 48 hours.
Catalin

You are always welcome, Ian!

Hopefully this will be solved as soon as possible.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”