farmerphd

Advanced Security Settings Issue after MSIX Install

Hello All,

I'm developing a MSIX that uses a Runtime component. I add the folders containing the Runtime files into the files section of Advanced Installer. The myapp.exe sits in the root directory of the MSIX while the Runtime sits in programfilesx64 within the VFS after install. The install works fine but when the Runtime tries to execute, it is limited by Advanced Security Settings. There is a Principal->Users, Access->Read & execute, Condition->WIN://SYSAPPID contains <the name of my MSIX package, Inherited from <WindowsApp MSIX installed folders. I look at this setting and it shows 'corrupted', I delete it, and everything runs fine. I am running Advanced Installer in my PC domain - I read that you should build packages outside of any domain to avoid transferring inherited security settings.

Can anyone tell me why this is a security setting for the Runtime folders after install? I looked at the *.ini files and can't find any clues.

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Last edited by farmerphd on Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
farmerphd

Re: Advanced Security Settings Issue after MSIX Install

Addiing that there are also 2 more security settings inherited from the MSIX installed app location:

Account Unknown (Read & execute)
Users (Read)

I would like to have all 3 security settings that are inherited from the MSIX not transferred to the installed PC through the MSIX installed app. There are 8 more User profiles in the Advanced Security Settings that are inherited from C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\. None of these User profiles are an issue. Only the User profiles inherited from the specific installed location (within the C:Program Files\WindowsApps\<MSIX Installed File>) that seem to be an issue - these are the User profiles that I want to not show on the installed app folders.
Catalin

Re: Advanced Security Settings Issue after MSIX Install

Hey Steve,

First of all, I apologize for such a delayed reply.

At a first glance, the developer mentioned that we do not modify the permissions at all.

However, we would need to further investigate this and therefore I have added this in the "issue" I previously mentioned so the developers can have a look over this.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”