Liviu

Re: A ton of bugs on Property Variable System and path syncronization

Hello,
In the meanwhile, i've noticed that AI_BUILD_NAME property variable seems not to be set in "Global Builds Events" section in the Build Events:Trying to build, the value passed as arguments is always "" regardless of its build name i'm trying to building but it's available in the "Build Events" tab for each configuration. It would useful to catch it in "Global Builds Events" section in order having the value of build name available to set dinamically just one global command for all builds.
I'm afraid I'm not able to reproduce this. The AI_BUILD_NAME property is resolved as expected for each build. Please see the screenshot below:

build events.png
build events.png (69.42 KiB) Viewed 11726 times

To ensure a clear understanding of your issue, I recommend providing detailed, step-by-step test cases that we can follow. Parsing through multiple phrases makes it challenging to grasp the full context, and essential details might be overlooked.

If the condition is applied to a whole folder, it does not work. It could be resolved using "Condition Files" on right click on a folder; but it's a bit misleading as one could expect it works to an entire folder too.

When you use the "Condition Files" option for a folder, the condition is added for all file components in that folder.
install condition.png
install condition.png (10.04 KiB) Viewed 11726 times
Another thing i've noticed is that the building process, even you've set a condition to exclude some files or folders, try to check the same the existence of that files on file system. This could lead to scenario where the building will fail if you in that specific build you're trying to building, do not have the files that another build would targets instead. It could very helpful - especially if you're working with CLI - that excluding conditions bypass all the checks about what is effectively excluded from building, almost for what concern about files and folders.
Could you kindly provide a step-by-step test case to help us better understand and address your issue? This will enable us to follow the sequence of actions, ensuring a more accurate and efficient resolution. Please send us the test cases for your current issues and the .AIP (setup project) file by email.

Thank you for understanding.

Best regards,
Liviu

Liviu wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:29 pm Hello,
In the meanwhile, i've noticed that AI_BUILD_NAME property variable seems not to be set in "Global Builds Events" section in the Build Events:Trying to build, the value passed as arguments is always "" regardless of its build name i'm trying to building but it's available in the "Build Events" tab for each configuration. It would useful to catch it in "Global Builds Events" section in order having the value of build name available to set dinamically just one global command for all builds.
I'm afraid I'm not able to reproduce this. The AI_BUILD_NAME property is resolved as expected for each build. Please see the screenshot below:

build events.png

To ensure a clear understanding of your issue, I recommend providing detailed, step-by-step test cases that we can follow. Parsing through multiple phrases makes it challenging to grasp the full context, and essential details might be overlooked.

No, Liviu, as i told you've to set it in "GLOBAL BUILD EVENTS" area. And you will find is not set in that phase.
Another thing i've noticed is that the building process, even you've set a condition to exclude some files or folders, try to check the same the existence of that files on file system. This could lead to scenario where the building will fail if you in that specific build you're trying to building, do not have the files that another build would targets instead. It could very helpful - especially if you're working with CLI - that excluding conditions bypass all the checks about what is effectively excluded from building, almost for what concern about files and folders.
Could you kindly provide a step-by-step test case to help us better understand and address your issue? This will enable us to follow the sequence of actions, ensuring a more accurate and efficient resolution. Please send us the test cases for your current issues and the .AIP (setup project) file by email.

Thank you for understanding.

Best regards,
Liviu

It's simply. Image i've property path value set on a folder/files and it's related to a specific build name. When i build with a build name that is converted to property path value where exist files on a file system, then the building runs success. Otherwise if i set a build name which switch to property path value where files do no exist on a file system in that path, then the building fails. This could seems correct but i've a condition that says: "Include this files only if build name is -MINISTEROINTERNO OR Release- and NOT if it's VATICANO". Because those files do not exist for VATICANO building and so, if there's a condition, the building process shouldn't check their existence because they should be excluded with that build name, during building process. Below the pics.
ss1.jpg
ss1.jpg (241.06 KiB) Viewed 11724 times
ss2.jpg
ss2.jpg (76.61 KiB) Viewed 11724 times
ss3.jpg
ss3.jpg (308.08 KiB) Viewed 11724 times
Liviu

Hello,
No, Liviu, as i told you've to set it in "GLOBAL BUILD EVENTS" area. And you will find is not set in that phase.
Indeed, the [|AI_BUILD_NAME] is not set during Global Builds events.

I have forwarded this to our development team and hopefully this will be fixed in a future version of Advanced Installer. As soon as the fix will be released we will notify you.

The workaround for this is to statically name the builds and reference the static name.
It's simply. Image i've property path value set on a folder/files and it's related to a specific build name. When i build with a build name that is converted to property path value where exist files on a file system, then the building runs success. Otherwise if i set a build name which switch to property path value where files do no exist on a file system in that path, then the building fails. This could seems correct but i've a condition that says: "Include this files only if build name is -MINISTEROINTERNO OR Release- and NOT if it's VATICANO". Because those files do not exist for VATICANO building and so, if there's a condition, the building process shouldn't check their existence because they should be excluded with that build name, during building process. Below the pics.
I'm afraid I'm not able to reproduce this. Please send us a step-by-step test case (e.g: step 1: Go to the Properties table and create this property. Step 2: From the Files and Folders page convert the path, and so on) that we can follow in order to reproduce this issue. Again, please send us the test case and the .AIP (setup project) file by email to support at advancedinstaller dot com.

Best regards,
Liviu

To make it helpful per other users, by inspecting with support team, the conditional existence/presence per build could be get by moving the specific folder(s)/file(s) to a new feature and setting on it the flag to "include feature only in the selected builds" as shown in picture:
ss2.jpg
ss2.jpg (163.18 KiB) Viewed 10476 times
This is the best practice workflow to perform the goal discussed in the previous issue, as path syncronization is per project and not per build.

Thank you for your support.
Liviu

You're always welcome!

Thank you for sharing the solution here.
In brief: use properties path values with several build configurations; setting them to different path value; switch by them and go to files and folder section, convert to source path a specific folder files; select a build and try to build the project and you will see the previous path is still them and the internal variable related to property path value is not update although you set a specific property path value in "properties" section, associated with a specific preconfigured build.
I have news regarding this problem. It's happening because we also don't have support to convert paths per build. Convert Source Paths is not a feature in which you can select the build and because of this, when the project path variable is used, the default value will be selected.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,
Liviu

Return to “Common Problems”