Sl4ck3r

A ton of bugs on Property Variable System and path syncronization

Hello, i've updated to 21.2.2 and all the Property Variabile System about Syncronization to source path is totally crashed. Simply the property variable does not update internally when you change the build configuration they are related to. I expect that changing build configuration in the property window, the property variable should reflects the distinct value at which i've configured to. At visual level you see the update but internally the value remains always the same as previous you defined at first stage when you created the variable, even though you perform a refresh about syncronization in files and folders section. When you will start the build, you will see in the running log output, informations which are not related to new property path variable you set.

That's an evident critical regression. Fix it ASAP PLEASE.
Catalin

Re: A ton of bugs on Property Variable System and path syncronization

Hello,

I apologize for this inconvenience!

if possible, could you please give me some more details (a test-case) so I can further investigate this on our end?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Sl4ck3r

Hello Catalin. It's enough to create 2 build configurations and 1 related property path variable; after set each of these property path to different value per build. Further configure in "files and folders" section, a folder path on FS syncronized and adjusted with the values you have set in property path variable and converts to source paths. Return to the "properties" section and select from top menu a different build and will have the new value updated in the referred property on the table below and both you will see the path value updated in "files and folders" section too; but when you will run the build, you will see in the running output log a property path value which is not updated and will keep the initial value you've set as default in the field when you created it. Actually, at visual level although you switch by different build configuration and you have set the property path variable to "response" to this switching among builds, this internally does not reflect in an effective change of the correct value the building process catches.
Catalin

Hello,

As I've already mentioned in your other thread, this scenario is not quite supported - please note it is not a bug.

The synchronization is done way before the build, so you can't really have synchronized folders "per-build". This is the reason why the default path is always used.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Sl4ck3r

And so, what is the purpose of changing property path value per build ? In which context could i use it, getting the dynamic value i've changed per build ? If i'm constrained to make manually changing in several sections of the project, what should be the advantage of having this per build dynamic value settings ?
Julian758

Hello, I recently updated to version 21.2.2, and I've encountered a significant issue with the Property Variable System, specifically regarding synchronization with the source path. It seems that the property variables do not update internally when I change the associated build configuration. Despite visually reflecting the changes in the property window, the internal value remains fixed at the initial configuration, even after performing a refresh in the files and folders section. This discrepancy becomes apparent during the build process, as the running log output displays information that is not aligned with the newly set property path variables. It would be greatly appreciated if this synchronization issue could be addressed.
Sl4ck3r

Julian758 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:47 am Hello, I recently updated to version 21.2.2, and I've encountered a significant issue with the Property Variable System, specifically regarding synchronization with the source path. It seems that the property variables do not update internally when I change the associated build configuration. Despite visually reflecting the changes in the property window, the internal value remains fixed at the initial configuration, even after performing a refresh in the files and folders section. This discrepancy becomes apparent during the build process, as the running log output displays information that is not aligned with the newly set property path variables. It would be greatly appreciated if this synchronization issue could be addressed.
It's the same i got and it's why i opened this thread. The reply as you can see, it's "it is by design and it's not a bug". I guess this issue was not fully understood, because it makes totally unuseful the combination property value/builds/syncronization system. You've to set the property value manually per build and syncronize in the same way. How can it considered a "no bug" it's incomprehensible: it's an evident bug. But fortunally, i'm not the only one i got it, and i guess there are a lot of users they can tell the same, out there.
Liviu

Hello guys,

Sorry for the delayed reply on this. Recently we have had many more support tickets than usual.

I have a hard time reproducing this problem.

To shorten the investigation time, if you can, please send us your .AIP (project setup) file by email to support at advancedinstaller dot com along with step-by-step test case that we can follow to reproduce this problem.

We apologize for any inconvenience you've experienced and we are committed to delivering a solution that meets your expectations.

Best regards,
Liviu

Liviu wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:11 pm Hello guys,

Sorry for the delayed reply on this. Recently we have had many more support tickets than usual.

I have a hard time reproducing this problem.

To shorten the investigation time, if you can, please send us your .AIP (project setup) file by email to support at advancedinstaller dot com along with step-by-step test case that we can follow to reproduce this problem.

We apologize for any inconvenience you've experienced and we are committed to delivering a solution that meets your expectations.

Best regards,
Liviu

Hello Liviu,
In brief: use properties path values with several build configurations; setting them to different path value; switch by them and go to files and folder section, convert to source path a specific folder files; select a build and try to build the project and you will see the previous path is still them and the internal variable related to property path value is not update although you set a specific property path value in "properties" section, associated with a specific preconfigured build.
Sl4ck3r

Update:

"AI_BUILD_NAME" variable does not reflect the current build name is building:
ss1.jpg
ss1.jpg (353.62 KiB) Viewed 63457 times
ss2.jpg
ss2.jpg (335.42 KiB) Viewed 63457 times
ss3.jpg
ss3.jpg (394.61 KiB) Viewed 63457 times
When i launch the setup and install the files, i find the directory/component it would be excluded instead. This is sympton that AI_BUILD_NAME it's not aligned with current build name configuration i've set to build the project. Using CLI is the same.

It does not work neither if i set user defined property value per build. It seems broken. Conditions on "component" items it's never evaluated and it seems this happens only on folders conditions.

Building process by several configuration/names seems to be not fully functional. I think it's part of the same problem as the main in this topic.

EDIT: using the option "Condition Files" in the context menù with right click on the folder, and setting there the condition, it seems to exclude all files and related folder too from setup installing. This is a bit misleading, because the condition set on folder should be prioritary over files and exclude the whole folder and all files inside.
Liviu

Hello,

Sorry for the delayed reply on this.
In brief: use properties path values with several build configurations; setting them to different path value; switch by them and go to files and folder section, convert to source path a specific folder files; select a build and try to build the project and you will see the previous path is still them and the internal variable related to property path value is not update although you set a specific property path value in "properties" section, associated with a specific preconfigured build.
I've been able to reproduce this behavior. This seems to be the intended behavior, as my colleague Catalin previously mentioned.

However, we have added an improvement in this regard to our TODO list to see if there is something we can do.

We will notify you as soon as we have more information from our development team.

"AI_BUILD_NAME" variable does not reflect the current build name is building: When i launch the setup and install the files, i find the directory/component it would be excluded instead. This is sympton that AI_BUILD_NAME it's not aligned with current build name configuration i've set to build the project. Using CLI is the same.
Please note that the Organization page does not have a dedicated option for switching builds, as this is not supported. The AI_BUILD_NAME is not automatically updated based on the selected build.

Once you have add the desired condition on the condition field, this condition should not be changed by us.

To further understand and investigate your scenario, please send me your .AIP project file by email to support at advancedinstaller dot com and the details about the expected behavior for the mentioned files and folder.

Best regards,
Liviu

Liviu wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:36 pm
Please note that the Organization page does not have a dedicated option for switching builds, as this is not supported. The AI_BUILD_NAME is not automatically updated based on the selected build.

Once you have add the desired condition on the condition field, this condition should not be changed by us.
AI_BUILD_NAME is a default project property, so not user-defined; when i try to specify in conditions settings it shows me the several build names i've in the project. It's a property available in those ones used to specify the conditions in several parts where them are available. So, if this property does not reflect the build name which i'm building the project for, what is its purpose and where and when it's updated ? I'm not able to find a sense of using this property, staying what you're saying, as the Organization section allows to specify a condition for a specific component where there are available all the project property in which i could check its value. What is the design it about so ?

Further AI_BUILD_NAME is updated using conditions files:
ss1.jpg
ss1.jpg (149.64 KiB) Viewed 61838 times
And here:
ss2.jpg
ss2.jpg (295.4 KiB) Viewed 61838 times
And the folder "GRPC" where i build with different names of "MINISTEROINTERNO" is not included. And this shows that AI_BUILD_NAME is updated and so, that it does not work per component ( Organization section ) basis and neither applying it to the entire folder; just using it in conditions files as i showed in pictures.

The sense i should find in an ideal and well-known design is that when a property ( user-defined or not ) is updated, all the areas in project where i can specify it, should reflect the updated value, otherwise what should it be its use ? And this is valid for all issues are reported in this thread.

The same is about property path values per-build; when i set a value per-build ( as you allow to do by design in AIP in property section ), all the places where that property-variable is referenced should take dynamically the corresponding value. Otherwise it becomes a constant ( almost for places where it's referenced and should behave as variable ), and it's pointless.
Liviu

Hello,

According to your screenshot, all files added to the GRPC folder should only be installed by the MINISTEROINTERNO setup build.

I've tested this and it worked as expected for me.

For example, the msi.txt file is installed only by the MSI package built from DefaultBuild. This msi.txt file is not included in the other build I have. This works as expected.

MSI BUILD.png
MSI BUILD.png (48 KiB) Viewed 60170 times

Please send us your .AIP project file by email to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can review its settings. Also send details of expected behaviour. For example, I want "file1, file2" to be included only in the MINISTEROINTERNO build.

Best regards,
Liviu

Hello Liviu, ok i will to send you my .AIP. In the meanwhile, i've noticed that AI_BUILD_NAME property variable seems not to be set in "Global Builds Events" section in the Build Events:
ss1.jpg
ss1.jpg (55.5 KiB) Viewed 59335 times
Trying to build, the value passed as arguments is always "" regardless of its build name i'm trying to building but it's available in the "Build Events" tab for each configuration. It would useful to catch it in "Global Builds Events" section in order having the value of build name available to set dinamically just one global command for all builds. Further, having access to AI_BUILD_NAME just inside a specific build is not very useful cause being it's known the building where you're working on, so it would the same passing the static name as string of it to arguments.

In addition, as this topic is open, another similar issue is using property path value; when i set a specific value per build ( in "Property" section ) in it and reference the property as <PROPERTY_PATH> in the any field of build event command, the first default value set for property at beginning, will always be taken and not that one i've set per build and whatever build name i've set for building for property value.

Try by yourself this 2 scenarios, as the "Builds" section seems to be not perfectly aligned with AI_BUILD_* variables and for property path value per build.
Sl4ck3r

Liviu wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:22 pm Hello,

According to your screenshot, all files added to the GRPC folder should only be installed by the MINISTEROINTERNO setup build.

I've tested this and it worked as expected for me.

For example, the msi.txt file is installed only by the MSI package built from DefaultBuild. This msi.txt file is not included in the other build I have. This works as expected.

MSI BUILD.png

Please send us your .AIP project file by email to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can review its settings. Also send details of expected behaviour. For example, I want "file1, file2" to be included only in the MINISTEROINTERNO build.

Best regards,
Liviu
I've tested your configuration. As i told before, i confirm it works with files only. If the condition is applied to a whole folder, it does not work. It could be resolved using "Condition Files" on right click on a folder; but it's a bit misleading as one could expect it works to an entire folder too. I will send you my .aip for a check so you can give me some tips it about.

Another thing i've noticed is that the building process, even you've set a condition to exclude some files or folders, try to check the same the existence of that files on file system. This could lead to scenario where the building will fail if you in that specific build you're trying to building, do not have the files that another build would targets instead. It could very helpful - especially if you're working with CLI - that excluding conditions bypass all the checks about what is effectively excluded from building, almost for what concern about files and folders.

In simply words, at the current aip version, exists a way to exclude a file or folder from building without removing it by the project template and building the same the project without an error incoming ?

Return to “Common Problems”