MercuryMage

msiexec /u doesn't load uninstaller

I'm trying to create an uninstaller log using msiexec due to the folder and files not being removed during uninstall. /i runs the installer, but /u does not run the uninstaller. Any thoughts?
Liviu

Re: msiexec /u doesn't load uninstaller

Hello,

In order to create a log for an uninstall process, you can replace the /i parameter with /x. Therefore, a command line which creates a log for an uninstall can look like this:

Code: Select all

msiexec /x "C:\MyPackage\Example.msi" /L*V "C:\log\example.log"
The package path can also be replaced by the package Product Code (it can be obtained by using the Project -> Options menu inside the project). The command line would look like this:

Code: Select all

msiexec /x {B40D5AC5-6120-4AD6-BBD4-AF5EF7E04351} /L*V "C:\log\example.log"

Regarding the issue you encounter, you can send us more details by email to support at advancedinstaller dot com along with the following resources:

1. the .AIP (setup project) file
2. the uninstallation log

However, most of the time, this problem occurs because of shared components. Did you somehow created more products starting from the same AIP (project file) by using the copy/paste method? If so, please note that this is not recommended and the "Save as template" option should be used instead.

You can try to generate new GUIDs for all the components using the "Change Product Code and component's GUIDS" option from the Upgrades page.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Liviu

Return to “Common Problems”