amirki

Upgrade fails - missing exe file

I'm using "Advanced installer" for a few years and it's working fine.
I'm developing a C# service.

Lately the versions that I'm creating don't upgrade well.
When I'm installing each version by itself without upgrade everything works fine.
When I'm upgrading version to another version, the upgrade seems to pass correctly but an exe file is missing which causes my program not to work.

I couldn't find any relevant change in my code and also couldn't find any explanation on "Event Viewer".
I couldn't find any difference on file definition on "Advanced installer" between the missing exe file and another exe file.

Do you have any idea what is the issue or how should i proceed in investigating this issue?

Thanks in advance

Amir
Liviu

Re: Upgrade fails - missing exe file

Hello Amir and welcome to our forums,

After the old package is detected, Windows Installer automatically determines which files will be installed based on the file versioning rules.
Please have a look at our Why some files/assemblies are missing from the installation folder when performing an upgrade? FAQ article.

Since the files are already installed, the ones in the old package are compared to the ones in the new package. If the files in the new package does not have a version it will not be installed (according to the file versioning rules).

As a solution, you could use a higher version for your files or you can use the "Always overwrite existing file" option ("Files and Folders" page --> right click on your file --> "Properties" --> "Operations" tab).

If that doesn't help, can you please send us the .AIP (project file) for both versions to support at advancedinstaller dot com? Before and after you configured the update and which files are exactly missing. And also an installation log of the upgrade process.

You can create the log with a command line like this:

Code: Select all

setup.exe AI_DEBUGLOG=1 /L*V debugLog.txt

Best regards,
Liviu

Hi Liviu

I would like to thank you for your answer.
I was already using "Always overwrite existing file".
i wasn't aware of the command "setup.exe AI_DEBUGLOG=1 /L*V debugLog.txt", it helped me see in the log that this exe isn't copied on upgrade.

I think my issue is the version I use, I use version of type xx.xxxx.xx meaning it's not valid according to this viewtopic.php?t=30874

I'm still trying to make sure this is in fact the issue, but it's still weird for me that clean installation works and upgrade doesn't.
In case I will found out that the version is not the issue, I will take your advice on sending files to "support at advancedinstaller dot com".

I'm supporting downgrade but for some reason i can upgrade from 17.1.1 to 17.1.2 and 17.1.2 to 17.1.3 while I can't downgrade from 17.1.3 to 17.1.2 or 17.1.1 or 17.1.2 to 17.1.1, do you have any idea?
After running setup.exe again for repair it's working.

Amir
Liviu

Hello Amir,
I'm supporting downgrade but for some reason i can upgrade from 17.1.1 to 17.1.2 and 17.1.2 to 17.1.3 while I can't downgrade from 17.1.3 to 17.1.2 or 17.1.1 or 17.1.2 to 17.1.1, do you have any idea?

Are you using our "Allow downgrade" option from the Upgrades page? If so, please send us the .AIP (setup project) file for v17.1.3, v17.1.2 and v17.1.1 to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can further investigate this.

Best regards,
Liviu

Return to “Common Problems”