Venkatesh

Incomplete Registry CleanUp

Hi,

I have issue when uninstalling drivers using Advanced Installer. I installed two drivers of versions v1.1.1.0 and v1.1.1.1 using installer. When I uninstalled v1.1.1.1 the driver is getting uninstalled but some of it's properties are getting merged with v1.1.1.0. So why is it happening??
Why Registry cleanup is not done completely??
Kindly Please answer my question. Thank You.

Regards,
Venkatesh
Liviu

Re: Incomplete Registry CleanUp

Hello Venkatesh and welcome to our forums,

This can happen if these registry keys are not created by the installer at installation time, but rather by your drivers later.

By default Windows Installer will remove only the resources that were installed by the MSI package.

You can create the key structure in your project and then use the Uninstall cleanup/Remove key options. This removal operation is intended to be used for external resources created by custom behaviour.

If you can not get this to work, please send us the the .AIP (setup project) file and details of the keys you want to remove on uninstall by email to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can further test and investigate this.

Best regards,
Liviu

Hi,

I didn't enter any registry keys in the Registry section, Just uploaded the driver files.

Note: v1.1.1.0 contains properties as (a,d) and v1.1.1.1 contains (a,d,e,f).

In detail, I uploaded .inf,.cat,.sys files in Files and folders section in the installer and .inf file in the Drivers section. I created two installers, one with 1.1.1.0 version driver files and another with 1.1.1.1 version driver files. Registry Cleanup is done when i installed v1.1.1.0 and Uninstalled it. Same with v1.1.1.1.

Let us say there are two versions in the system (v1.1.1.0 and v1.1.1.1) now if I uninstall v1.1.1.1 the properties (e,f) are getting merged with v1.1.1.0 properties. But If I keep v1.1.1.1 in system and uninstall v1.1.1.0 it is working fine the properties getting showed are (a,d,e,f).

What is the problem here, Registry cleanup or with the Installer settings???
Also Is it possible to integrate the batch script in installer so that when i uninstall v1.1.1.1 the batch script should delete the registry keys that are yet to be done.
Liviu

Hello,

Are these registry keys created in the Registry page of your project? If not, there may be a problem with the driver update. As already mentioned, Windows Installer will only remove resources that were installed by the MSI package during installation (the keys added in the Registry page). If registry keys are subsequently created by the driver, these keys will not be removed by the installer during uninstallation.
Also Is it possible to integrate the batch script in installer so that when i uninstall v1.1.1.1 the batch script should delete the registry keys that are yet to be done.
Yes, we have support to run batch scripts. Please have a look at our How to launch a CMD or BAT file article.
custom action.png
custom action.png (59.18 KiB) Viewed 4304 times

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Liviu

Return to “Common Problems”