Venkatesh

Device detection issue when using advanced installer

Hi Team,

I am installing driver using advanced installer. I find two cases here,

1. device plugged -----> installing driver ----> Working fine, device probed driver.

2. Installing driver ------> Device Plugged ----> Not working, Device is not probing driver.

In the two cases mentioned above, The order is different and output is getting different but it must be same in both cases.

With manual INF installation above cases are working fine. But with installer 2nd case is not working.

Could you please let me know the reason. Any setting need to be enabled in advanced installer??

Thank You

Regards,
Venkatesh
Catalin

Re: Device detection issue when using advanced installer

Hello Venkatesh and welcome to our forums,

According to the following article:

Drivers Page
Advanced Installer uses Windows Driver Install Frameworks (DIFx), version 2.1, to install the drivers. The necessary libraries for DIFx come with the Microsoft Windows Driver Kit. If they aren't installed on your machine Advanced Installer will try to download them when you build the first package that installs drivers.
These drivers usually come with your application, e.g. an anti-virus filter for the network adapter. It is not recommended to use it for installing Hardware First Install type drivers, e.g. a driver for your sound card.
That being said, this might be the reason why your driver misbehaves.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Venkatesh

Hi Catalin,

As of my understanding Software First installation means preinstallation of the driver package on the system before the hardware device is plugged in.

My device is pluggable and unpluggable and comes under software first install so, it should work. Why it is working in the case where the driver installation followed by device plugging [ 1st case as mentioned in previous chat ]

In my Case I installed driver first and then plugged device then according to Software First Installation first it should work. Why it's not working??

Correct me if i am wrong.. Thank You

Regards,
Venkatesh
Catalin

Hello Venkatesh,

I have done some more research and you might be right about this, indeed.

However, I think there's an issue with the tool that does the driver installation here.

For instance, could you try to use the DIFx tool to manually install your driver and see if the behavior is the same?

As previously mentioned, we use the above tool, which is 3rd party from Microsoft.

If that still does not help, we can perhaps make use of some newer tools, such as PNPUtil. We can, for instance, use a Custom Action to call this in the package.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”