leeknay

Error building MSI

Can anyone help me troubleshoot the following error that I'm receiving when building an MSI? The size of the MSI is huge, over 2GB. Am I hitting some kind of limit?

Building package (en): \\ui\aits\temp\lee13\boxi\boxi.msi
Applying file transforms... done.
Creating CAB file(s)... done.
Creating MSI database... error.
Exception - Reason: Error calling Msi API: 1627 Method: MsiDatabaseCommit Table: AI_TempFile Extended Error:

1: 2265 2: 3: -2147286767 .

Build finished because an error was encountered.
Cosmin

Hi,

The error with the code 2265 means "Could not commit storage. System error: [3]". Also, the system error with the code "-2147286767" means "The compound file is too large for the current implementation".

Do you use in your project a temporary file with a large size? Also, can you please send us the AIP which shows this behavior to support at advancedinstaller dot com?

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
leeknay

Yes, I have several temporary files between 300-600MB. I have some custom actions that kick off another install process using these files and would not like them to remain on the user's disk when the install is complete. I will send along the AIP file for you to examine. Thanks Cosmin.
Cosmin

Hi,

It's a possibility that you are encountering this behavior because the cumulated size of the temporary files exceeds 2GB. Please test the AIP with fewer temporary files.

If it's built correctly then you need to take another approach with these files. For example:
- add them as regular files in a folder which you will use as a temp folder
- in the "Custom Actions" page create a custom action which removes the files and the folder after the installation is performed

Here is a sample custom action for deleting a folder:
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/forums ... ove+folder

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”