BPeters

Shortcut stays when I remove application.

I have an application that I am installing in 2 different languages (english and italian). The italian version has additional files required so I created a seperate msi for each language. Both msi's install the same exe to the same place but each generates a different shortcut with parameters that define the language (-en = english, etc.). Both msi's add the shortcuts to the start menu in the same folder Start\Programs\Application but have different names (App and App (Italian). The problem is when I install one then the other (order doesn't seem to matter) then I try to remove the Italian version the shortcut is left behind while if I do the same then remove the english one that shortcut is removed. If I install only the Italian version then remove it the shortcut is removed. I'm not sure if there is something I am doing wrong or what. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Brad
BPeters

With some further testing I have deduced that the problem has something to do with both shortcuts pointing to the same exe. If the italian version uses a different exe (same but different name) then there is no problem. I would like to be able to use the same exe name if possible.
BPeters

With a little more testing I found that when I created by second install file I simply copied the first. This left the GUID the same for the exe in both installs. By creating a new project from scratch this shortcut being left behind is solved.

Return to “Common Problems”