Phil

Explain the JVM types?

Hi, I've seen the documentation:
There are two types of JVMs: client and server. You can choose one of the following combinations...
Ok, so I can choose client or server. However I've searched all over the place and I can't find out what the differences are between them and why I'd choose one over the other.

Maybe I missed the documentation?
Can someone help me??
ciprian

Hi,

A JDK usually contains two types of JVM server and client.

Advanced Installer allows you to specify one of the following options:

- Favor client: Advanced Installer looks for client or server JVM in the JDK or JRE installed on your computer. It returns the JVM with the highest version (client or server). The client version is favored in the sense that the client JVM is looked up first, and if it is found, the search stops. This is the default option for JVM type.

- Favor server: Advanced Installer looks for server (only in the JDK) or client JVM and returns the server JVM with the highest version.

- Server only: Advanced Installer looks only for the server JVM (only in the JDK). If it is not found then the user is prompted to browse a JRE with a valid server JVM.

A server type of JVM is recommended when you have a server type java application that uses servlets and portlets.

All the best,
Ciprian
Ciprian Burca
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com
Phil

I'm sorry, JRE hotspot, server, client.... gotcha. My brain must have been switched off. :oops: :oops:

Return to “Common Problems”