mokhans

Out of disk space problem

Hi,
I've created a professional type installation for VC project.And .MSI file it made is around 145 MB.Now,I've following two problems

1) How can i select an alternate drive when i run out of space?-------
Brief:-
When it tries to install on a drive which is running out of space.It shows me a message "Out Of Disk Space" and gives me options to select other drives.But,They're not selectable.

2) My installer is creating temporary file equivalent of it's own size in MS Windows "Temp" directory.Why is it so?

I'll be very thankful for help.Thanks.
Bye,
Owais.
ciprian

Hi Owais,

1. The deployed window is only an informative one. It only shows you how much free space you have on different drives. In order to select a different target drive, click the [ Ok ] and then the [ Back ] buttons. These actions will get you back to the dialog that allows you to select the install location.

2. During the install process the CAB files from the MSI are extracted to Windows Temp folder. Then the files from the CABs are extracted to the same location, from where they are installed. After the installation process all the files are deleted from the temp folder. This is the way Windows Installer works.

In order to preserve disk space you could leave the CAB files outside the MSI. To do that go to the "Media" page and uncheck the "Include CAB files into the MSI database". This way the CAB files will not have to be extracted to the Temp folder.

All the best,
Ciprian
Ciprian Burca
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com
mokhans

Thanks a lot for the help.But,"Out Of Disk Space" still remains.When i'm presented with "Out Of Disk Space" problem.I go back and select a different drive and try installing again.But,Installer showed me "Out Of Disk Space" again.Really,Can't figure out.Is this thing has to do something with relative or absolute paths? any more tips?...
Following are some points regarding my problem,It might be helpful to you in diagnosing problem and helping me out...:(...

-Default path which appears in my installation is "C:\Program Files\XtremeSoft".
-Now,I make my C drive run out of space by putting things in it and only leave 300MB or so.My Installer is 145MB in size(Single file).CAB not outside.
ciprian

The problem you experience is due to the fact that you do not have enough space on the Windows drive.

When a package is installed, Windows Installer automatically saves in the Temp folder the information needed needed for the rollback process. The amount of space used to do this is proportional with the size of the package.

This is why you still get "Out of Disk Space" even though you selected another target for deploying the package.

Regards,
Ciprian
Ciprian Burca
Advanced Installer Team
mokhans

Thanks for the help.It means if my .MSI installer is single file installer and 145 MB in size then,I need space as follows in Windows/Temp folder.

* 145 MB for temporary .msi which it'll create.
* 145 MB(Approx.) for RollBack date.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
290 MB must be available in Windows\Temp Directory in order to run this installer?

Kindly,Correct me if i'm wrong or made any mistakes in calculations.Thanks alot for your immediate replies and help.Thanks Indeed.
ciprian

Hi,

The calculations are more or less correct, but keep in mind the CAB files are extracted in the Temp folder too, during the install process.

Regards,
Ciprian
Ciprian Burca
Advanced Installer Team
mokhans

Thanks a lot

Thanks for all the immediate replies.Thanks indeed.I appreciate Advanced Installer's team quick response towards customer's problems.In the end i'm a satisfied customer.
Regards,
Owais.

Return to “Common Problems”