TedN

"Network Resource Unavailable" error message?

I am getting occasional reports from users where they are using the successfully installed software and get an error:
The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to try a folder containing the installation package 'LowFatSetup.msi' in the box below.
If they click Ok a bunch of times everything works, but it is very annoying.

I'm not sure if this has something to do with how I have created the install, but I thought I would see if anybody has any ideas.

Thanks
Mike

Hi,

A possible cause could be that you are using advertised features in your package. This error occurs if Windows is unable to locate the MSI package to install the required feature.

Hope this helps. Otherwise, please provide more details on the characteristics of your project.

Regards,
Mihai
Mihai Bobaru
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com
TedN

I'm not intentionally using Advertised Features. I'm using Advanced Installer 2.6.2, and couldn't find anything in the help on Advanced Features.

My Installation project has a Custom Action that is another setup EXE used to install a second program on the Pocket PC. This works fine, although it does add a second entry to the Remove Programs list.

Otherwise, for 95% of the users this error never appears and there are no problems running the application. The executable is completely standalone and doesn't even use a DLL. So why it all of the sudden requires the MSI file is a mystery to me.

Any other ideas based on this additional info?
Mike

Hi,

If you created an EXE type of package, with the MSI embedded in it, this error can occur when you you try to execute a repair / modify action. This is because the MSI was extracted at install time in a temporary location and doesn't exist there anymore.

To execute a repair / modify action you must launch the EXE file again.

Regards,
Mihai
Mihai Bobaru
Advanced Installer Team
TedN

The error is displayed when running the program, not when the user is attempting a repair or remove from the control panel. Is there any other reason that the MSI file could possibly be accessed?
Mike

If you double-click a file that is associated with your application, Windows will try to launch it. If the application has been damaged the repair process will be started. If the installation file is not found this error will occur.

Best,
Mihai
Mihai Bobaru
Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Common Problems”