bvoh

Prerequisits and custom actions

We are using professional AI v.3.1.1 and successfully created an executable installer for our application which runs on everything from win95 and up. However, to ensure complete backwards compatibility, I'm not entirely clear about checking for the correct msi.dll version needed for different operating systems. What is the best way to:

1. Check which OS is on the target computer - create a search for a registry key?
2. Is this info used to define a property which will be part of a custom action?
3. Is a custom action defined (based on the presence/absence of a specific msi.dll version) which can then place the missing file on the target computer?
4. The required msi.dlls are included in media tab?

Do I have this right or am I overly complicating things? Sorry for the newby questions, not being that familiar with windows programming....

bvoh
Mike

Hi,

If I understand correctly you want to make sure the correct version of Windows Installer is present on the target computer. To do this the easiest way is to make it a prerequisite. AI comes with a list of prerequisites already defined.

Go to the "Media" page, "Prerequisites" tab. Use the [Add] button and select "Windows Installer for Windows 9x". Use the same steps for "Windows Installer for Windows NT". The two prerequisites will be installed if that version of Windows on the target machine is not the one required.

For more information please visit:
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... sites.html

Also, if you want to check the Windows Installer version at install time you can retrieve it from the "VersionMsi" property.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Mihai
Mihai Bobaru
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com
bvoh

Thank you very much, should have figured such a common need was predefined. I think I finally got it!

Return to “Common Problems”