Finkly

Error 2755 - Advanced Installer 3.2

Hi,

I've been using Advanced Installer version 3.2 to create a 'simple' MSI based installer package - it does nothing more than copy a few files (including an application) into a specific folder on the target machines.

It works fine on out test machine and I have been able to install several versions of the application - the installer works if I remove a previous version and if I do not remove a previous version.

However on one of the actual target machines (let's call it the 'live server') the error 2755 is generated:
The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2755.
After doing a quick search here, I first thought it could be a permissions problem, but the network admin who is running the installer on the live server has full domain admin rights. I also checked with him that none of the files being overwritten/copied were in use.

The live server is running W2K server with SP4 and all MS patches are up to date - it is a domain controller.

Can somebody offer a solution?

Thanks in advance :)
Mike

Hi,

You are right, this error usually happens if the temporary folder necessary during install cannot be created. If you have writing privileges in the Windows folder that shouldn't be the cause.

This error can also occur if you are installing from a mapped drive. According to Microsoft's documentation: "Windows 2000 and earlier operating systems do not support passing mapped drive letter information between terminal server sessions. Since Windows Installer service runs as a service in the console session, mapped drive letters established in remote sessions are not visible to Windows Installer service, resulting in this error."

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Mihai
Mihai Bobaru
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com
Finkly

Hi Mihai,

Thanks for your reply :) - I told the network admin the information you supplied and he was able to run the installer by copying it onto the server first.

Thanks again :wink:

Return to “Common Problems”