isaolmez

Silent installation gone wrong

Hi,
I have a local folder chosen from the wizard, and I copy the contents of this folder to application folder. I have written a VB script for that and it works when I start the installer normally in FULL UI mode. However, I also prepared it to take command line parameters so that it can be installed silently with \qn msiexec option. In silent installation, VB script gets permission denied error whereas in full ui mode there is no error and files are copied to application folder.
I have tried a lot, In install options, I have checked Run as administrator and then tried also with unchecking it. I have run command line with msiexec and also with exe file giving same parameters. But for now the result is always the same. By the way, command prompt is always opened with admin rights.
When installing with ui, it installs correctly. In silent installation, it gets permission error. What can be the solution? Thanks in advance
Daniel

Re: Silent installation gone wrong

Hello,

I'm not sure why you are encountering this behavior. Can you give us more details about your scenario (maybe exemplify)?

Also, you can take a look on our "Path not found on VBscript copy" thread which may be useful for you.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
isaolmez

Hi Daniel,
I have simplified the installer in order to send you, it now just copies the contents of a local folder to application folder. The same problem exists here. In silent installation script gets permission denied error.
The command I have been using is:
msiexec /i application.msi LOCAL_CONFIG="C:\config" USE_LOCAL="true" /qb
Could you inspect the project file, as I said it does only have one custom action. Thanks in advance
Attachments
installer.rar
AI project and script that gets the error
(4.18 KiB) Downloaded 324 times
Daniel

Hello,

Please keep in mind that when your installation package runs in silent mode, then the "LOCAL_CONFIG" property will be always set to "WindowsVolume" property value (e.g. "C:\") by your "Install Execution Stage -> PropertySource" custom action. You should use the same condition in the "Execution Stage Condition" field (e.g. LOCAL_CONFIG="empty") for your custom action as the one used in the "Dialogs Stage Condition" field, and then build and run your project again.

Let us know if this helped.

All the best,
Daniel
isaolmez

Thank you Daniel. That worked perfectly.
Daniel

You're welcome. Glad to help.

All the best,
Daniel

Return to “Building Installers”