NickBrown1968

Package as an ARP Update

I've authored a package that is a simple DLL upgrade to another product that I didn't build and can't re-author. Using custom actions I'm basically unregistering the old DLL, taking a copy of it, installing the new DLL and registering it. I also have uninstall and rollback actions that reverse this process. So far it's working working nicely and is seen as a completely standalone package. However I wanted to make it appear as an update to the original product in ARP so have set the ParentKeyName and ParentDisplayName registry settings appropriately. Sure enough the package is then shown as an update in ARP, but with an unwanted side-effect - The "Remove" button is disappears. I've hunted round for a reason for this, but am starting to run out of ideas. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Nick.
Daniel

Re: Package as an ARP Update

Hello Nick and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

Thank you for your interest in Advanced Installer.

I'm afraid I don't fully understand your scenario. Can you give us more details about this (maybe exemplify)?

Also, in order to clearly report an issue you can take a look on our How to report a problem for a faster resolution article.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”