valiot

Please explain "Categorized updates" feature

In the feature list for version 9.8 it lists "Categorized updates". Can someone from Caphyon explain this new feature? Couldn't find it in the user interface or the docs.

http://www.advancedinstaller.com/release-9.8.html
valiot

Re: Please explain "Categorized updates" feature

Of course after posting this I found the section called 'Display' in the properties page of the updater project. It would be nice to some examples of how to implement this.
Daniel

Hello,

We'll consider this in a future version. Thank you for your suggestion.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
valiot

With the new categorized updates. Is it possible to have two installed applications share the same updater? For example, I want the updater to run on a schedule and show updates for both apps in the list.
Daniel

Hello,

Yes, in order to achieve this you can add more package updates (for different products) in your updates configuration project. Please keep in mind that when use this scenario it is recommended to use a registry value search as detection criteria for your updates.

Also, please note that when use this scenario users will see the available updates for all products added in your updates configuration project (even when they don't have a previous version of a related product already installed).

Let us know if this helps, otherwise give us more details about what you want to achieve (maybe exemplify).

All the best,
Daniel
valiot

I think I understand, Thank you. One more question.
Each of my applications A and B will include installation info for the update.exe in the same location. If I uninstall application B, will the update.exe be removed?
Daniel

Hello,

Yes, the updater.exe file (if you are using same updater filename for both of your installation products) will be removed. Also, please keep in mind this is not a recommended scenario. You should not use the same updater install location for two different product installation.

All the best,
Daniel
valiot

The reason I am using the same updater location is because I want to avoid duplicate update apps. I'm trying to use a common updater tool for all my products. Similar to how Apple Updater works on Windows.

Return to “Building Installers”