shetty_rohan

Branding of the installer

We have a product, and this would need to be branded differently for every reseller.

For instance following might differ for every reseller:
a) End User Agreement might differ from one reseller to the other
b) Product details(like Product Support info) might also differ
c) File name of the setup and icon also would differ

Goals:
1) Would like to have one .aip file
2) Is it possible to have this similar to multilingual support(i.e Advanced Installer would create one setup for every reseller)

Any help is appreciated.
Eusebiu

Re: Branding of the installer

Hi,

In order to achieve what you want Advanced Installer gives you the possibility of creating multiple builds.

Go in the Media page and use the [New Build] toolbar button to create as many builds as you want. Also you can set a name for them (i.e. Client1, Client2,...)

a) End User Agreement might differ from one reseller to the other
- go in the Dialogs page
- in the "First Time Install" folder add the "LicenseAgreementDlg" dialog and choose your .rtf license file
- click on the "Scrollable Text" control
- in the "Properties" panel at "Attributes" group set "Visible" to "False"
- copy the "Scrollable Text" control then paste it on the same dialog until you reach the number of your builds
- press "CTRL" button and select all the "Scrollable Text" controls you created (make sure that the last selected is the original one)
- click on the [Align] toolbar button and align the controls "Lefts" and "Tops"
- in the "Display" text field from the "Properties" panel choose another .rtf license file for each "Scrollable Text" control (only one of your "Scrollable Text" controls can be selected in the "LicenseAgreementDlg" dialog, but you can select the others from the combobox from the "Properties" panel)
- add a new control condition from the "Control Condition" tab for each "Scrollable Text" control
- use the following parameters:
  • Condition: AI_BUILD_NAME = <your_build_name>
    Action: Show
If <your_build_name> is set to "Client1" the selected scrollable text will be shown only in the "Client1" build.

b) Product details(like Product Support info) might also differ
- go in the Product Details page
- choose for example "Product URL" and write a property in its corresponding text field (i.e. [|ProdURL])
- go in the Install Parameters page
- double click on the "ProdURL" property
- in the newly appeared dialog select, for each build, check the "Use specific value" radio button and set a value for the property

c) File name of the setup and icon also would differ
- go in the Media page and select a build
- in the right panel you can set the setup name

If you want to change the icon of the EXE setup you can also change it in the Media page for each build.

If you want to change the Control Panel icon:
- choose a "Control Panel Icon"
- go in the Table Editor page
- select the "Icon" table
- there you will see the "Control Panel Icon" you chose
- from the "Table Editor" toolbar select a build
- double click on the path of your icon and choose an icon for the current build
Build and run the project.

I attached here a sample, so it might help if you take a look on it. Also, you can watch the "Multiple Builds Configuration" video which shows you how to work with multiple builds in the same project.

Let us know if it helped, otherwise give us more details about your scenario.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Attachments
Multiple Builds.aip
A sample for Multiple Builds
(20.21 KiB) Downloaded 548 times
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
shetty_rohan

Thank you very much Eusebiu :-).

I was looking for this kind of solution, and I guess you have solved my problem.
Eusebiu

You're welcome. Glad to help.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
shetty_rohan

One more question related to mixing branding and multilingual.
Suppose I have two customers(client1 and client2), and we support 2 languages(German and English). So, I would be having following EULAs
1) client1_EULA_EN.rtf
2) client1_EULA_DE.rtf
3) client2_EULA_EN.rtf
4) client2_EULA_DE.rtf
How can I support this?
Eusebiu

Hi,

As a solution for your last question you can create four "Scrollable Text" controls in the "LicenseAgreementDlg" dialog, and replace the condition from the "Control Condition" tab of each "Scrollable Text" control like in the following example:
  • Condition: (AI_BUILD_NAME = "client1") AND (ProductLanguage = 1033) (1033 is the code for the English language and 1031 for German)
    Action: Show
You can also try the solution described in the How do I localize the EULA and ReadMe text article.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
shetty_rohan

Thanks Eusebiu.

I have already implemented the multilingual support as explained in http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... ement.html article. So I have an xml file which has all the EULA files.

Now, to support the branding, I need to have two "scrollable text" controls. Instead, is it possible to do this through the xml file(which already contains the path to the eula files)

for example, currently I have the following xml file

Code: Select all

<ENTRY id="Control.Text.LicenseAgreementDlg#AgreementText">
    <STRING lang="en" value="E:\svn\opt\svn\fmcc\trunk\client\Setup\DesktopControl\EULA\Default\LicenseAgreement_en.rtf"/>  
    <STRING lang="de" value="E:\svn\opt\svn\fmcc\trunk\client\Setup\DesktopControl\EULA\Default\LicenseAgreement_de.rtf"/>
    <STRING lang="sv" value="E:\svn\opt\svn\fmcc\trunk\client\Setup\DesktopControl\EULA\Default\LicenseAgreement_sv.rtf"/>
  </ENTRY>  
Is it possible to have something like the following

Code: Select all

<ENTRY id="Control.Text.LicenseAgreementDlg#AgreementText">
    <STRING lang="en" client="client1" value="E:\svn\opt\svn\fmcc\trunk\client\Setup\DesktopControl\EULA\Default\LicenseAgreement_Client1_en.rtf"/>  
    <STRING lang="de" client="client1" value="E:\svn\opt\svn\fmcc\trunk\client\Setup\DesktopControl\EULA\Default\LicenseAgreement_Client1_de.rtf"/>
    <STRING lang="sv" client="client1" value="E:\svn\opt\svn\fmcc\trunk\client\Setup\DesktopControl\EULA\Default\LicenseAgreement_Client1_sv.rtf"/>

<STRING lang="en" client="client2" value="E:\svn\opt\svn\fmcc\trunk\client\Setup\DesktopControl\EULA\Default\LicenseAgreement_Client2_en.rtf"/>  
    <STRING lang="de" client="client2" value="E:\svn\opt\svn\fmcc\trunk\client\Setup\DesktopControl\EULA\Default\LicenseAgreement_Client2_de.rtf"/>
    <STRING lang="sv" client="client2" value="E:\svn\opt\svn\fmcc\trunk\client\Setup\DesktopControl\EULA\Default\LicenseAgreement_Client2_sv.rtf"/>
  </ENTRY>  
So basically, I would like to do the branding changes in the xml(instead of changing the dialogs). Just wanted to to know something like this is possible?
Eusebiu

Hi Rohan,

Unfortunately it is not possible to use the same "Scrollable Text" control for two clients only by modifying it in the dictionary XML file.

You can use the same "Scrollable Text" control for more languages, but each client must have its own control.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
shetty_rohan

Thanks Eusebiu.

I have one more related question. how can I have different product urls(i.e in Product Details -> Product URL)

e.g.
"Client1" build "en" language should have http://www.client1.com/index.php/en/ucsoftphone
"Client1" build "de" language should have http://www.client1.com/index.php/de/ucsoftphone
"Client2" build "en" language should have http://www.client2.com/index.php/en/ucsoftphone
"Client2" build "de" language should have http://www.client2.com/index.php/de/ucsoftphone
Eusebiu

Hi,

In order to achieve this you can follow the next steps:

- go in the Install Parameters page
- create two properties, one for each build (i.e. "Client1", "Client2")
- in the "Value" text field of each property write the corresponding URL for English language
- right click on the same text field and select the "Localization" menu
- make sure that the "Always translate this string" and "Using specified localization identifier" options are selected
- choose "Product URL" and write a property in its corresponding text field (i.e. [|ProdURL])
- in the Install Parameters page double click on the "ProdURL" property
- in the newly appeared dialog, for each build, check the "Use specific value" radio button and write the corresponding properties you created before (i.e. for "Client1" build, "[|Client1]" property)
- go into the "Project Strings" tab from the Translations page
- in the "Localization ID" column you can see the "Property.Client1" and "Property.Client2" rows
- double click on the "German (Germany)" column corresponding to each of these properties and write the URL for German language
- build and run the project

Best regards,
Eusebiu
shetty_rohan

Thank you Eusebiu, this is working fine.
I do appreciate your help :-)
Eusebiu

My pleasure.

Best regards,
Eusebiu

Return to “Building Installers”