Zorro

splash screen

Dear All,

we have a project made in Advanced Installer (Professional proj.)

What we'd like is that in Dialogs, _before_ Welcomedlg runs (in other words, before setup itself runs) to show a splash screen (jpg), which then would disappear and setup would start/continue. Is that possible? If so, how?

Thanks
Daniel

Re: splash screen

Hello,

I'm afraid we don't have predefined support for this. However, in order to achieve this you can create your own custom action which will display a splash screen. Also, the custom action should be scheduled before "Wizard Dialogs Stage -> Searches" action group.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Zorro

Hi Daniel,

thanks for the reply!

Please note, that I am still a beginner! I try another way: if I have a software (exe) which brings in the image for a few seconds (then the picture disappears), and after that I start the effective installation, will I succeed? If so, where should I paste the exe file?

Thanks
Zorro
Daniel

Hello Zorro,

You can run the related file using a "Launch attached file" custom action. Go to "Custom Actions" page and add a "Launch attached file" custom action with sequence, scheduled before "Wizard Dialogs Stage -> Searches" action group, which will run your exe file.

All the best,
Daniel
Zorro

Hi Daniel,

I added my exe file at the "Custom Actions" part, but with the "Wizard Dialogs Stage -> Searches" I could not find any option that would set what I need, and nor with "New Custom Action Wizard -> Custom Action Type / Run an Exe File". The program allows only to execute the file only when application is installed, so not before the installation - which is not good, I need the exe to run before the installation.

This is really new for me, could you please descibe the "How to" with more details?

Thanks!
Daniel

Hello,

You can proceed like this:
- Go to "Custom Actions" page and add a "Launch attached file" custom action with sequence like this:
  • Source Path: C:\Users\<username>\Desktop\test.exe
    Source Type: Executable (*.exe)
- Move the above custom action before "Wizard Dialogs Stage -> Searches" action group.
- Build and run your project.

All the best,
Daniel
Zorro

Hello,

Thank you very much for your help, now the software works almost perfectly.

Only one problem left: my file, the the picture.exe file should work as it brings in the image for 3 seconds to the monitor, then disappears. But in practice the welcome dialogue appears at first, and after that my picture follows it in 0,5 sec. The return code of the picture.exe is "0", which comes only after the 3 sec timing, and in spite of the right setting (Execution properties: synchronous execution, check return code), the software doesn't really accept the return code, and the welcome dialogue doesn't start after the 3 sec timing. But during the 3 sec timing somehow we can't click to 'next' in the welcome dialogue - which means that it actually gets something from the return code.

Could I do anything with that?

All the best,
Zorro
Daniel

Hello Zorro,

I'm not sure why you are encountering this behavior. Can you enable the "Synchronous execution, ignore return code" execution option and see if the behavior still persist? If so, can you attach a sample reproducing the behavior so we can try to reproduce and investigate this?

All the best,
Daniel

Return to “Building Installers”