shetty_rohan

Uninstall/repair/upgrade while some application is in use

Hi,

I have an installer which mainly installs an executable file. Suppose if I keep this executable open, and upgrade the product I do not get any warning message like "Application is in use". Only at the end of the installation, Setup asks for the restart. Found the similar behavior during the repair/uninstall.

Question: Is there any way to stop the upgrade/repair/uninstall if the executable file is open
e.g.
1) During the upgrade installer should check whether executable is open, if open it should show a warning message.
2) During the uninstall installer should check whether executable is open, if open it should show a warning message.
3) During the repair installer should check whether executable is open, if open it should show a warning message.

Basically, I want to the installation to stop in case there is a "running process" of the the executable. Is this possible to achieve??

Details
1) Advanced Installer version 9.8 build 48877
2) Use Enhanced Interface - only on install
shetty_rohan

Re: Uninstall/repair/upgrade while some application is in us

I have also gone thru your solution(http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... ocess.html) using which I thought I would "automatically terminate the application" if it is already running.

I did the following
1) Added custom action to check whether "UCSoftphone.exe is running. called this as StopProcess. This appears in "Wizard Dialog stage"(above Searches)
2) Made a copy(using shift) and moved to "Install Execution stages"(above Searches)
3) In "Advance Execution Scenarios", selected second option(i.e "Skip action in Install execution stages if execute in dialog stages")

Now, if I kept the executable running, tried to uninstall, setup does not terminate the process.

Am I missing something over here??
shetty_rohan

I just changed the "name of the file" in the "action data" of the "terminate process" custom action. Now it is working fine.

Old value: [#UCSoftphone.exe]
I had saved this as a property, which did not work

New Value: UCSoftphone.exe
I changed it to just the filename, which seems to be working fine.
shetty_rohan

Sorry, please ignore this problem. Everything is working fine. If possible "Delete this"

Return to “Building Installers”