eric

Setup.exe is not working on another maschine

Hello togehter,
I made a Setup Package, with Advancedinstaller 9.8, for VS2008 Project, on Win7 ultimate 64bit Sp1.
I chosed for Package Typ: "EXE-Setup with resources next to it", eventhough I got tow Packages, an msi and that exe. Thats not bad, but maybe usfull to know about the reason.

Another question is, if I put that exe file on anonther maschine, as were it was create, then it doesn't work, it told me that it miss...
I can make that proof again and write down here what exactly happend, but it seems so to me, this is not a specialness, there is something I do not know about setup.exe?

best regards eric
Eusebiu

Re: Setup.exe is not working on another maschine

Hi Eric,

The "EXE setup with resources next to it" package type creates an EXE file which contains all the information about the User Interface of the installation package and an MSI file which contains all the resources you add in the package.

If you want only an EXE file you can choose the "Single EXE setup (resources inside)" package type. In this case the MSI file and eventually the CAB files will be placed inside the EXE file and will be extracted at the installation time.

When you try to run the EXE file ("EXE setup with resources next to it" package type) on another machine, you must also place the MSI file next to it so the resources inside the MSI can be extracted and installed, else you can choose the "Single EXE setup" package type and you'll have only the EXE file.

Let us know if this helped, otherwise give us more details about your scenario.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
eric

Hi Eusebiu,
it has workd very well, thanks for your answer.
I made a Singel.exe package.

But, just a last qustion, where could that other way beeing useful, if those setup.exe is not working at last.
Eusebiu

Hi Eric,

You're welcome. I'm glad you got this working.

Please keep in mind that the "setup.exe" that is created when you have an "EXE setup with resources next to it" package type is also working if the related MSI package is in the same folder.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”