digitalrinaldo

How to make one package for multiple servers

I would like to build an installer for a Java application that works as close as possible to Microsoft's OneClick. I see options for web installable versions but they ask for a url? Is that to upload with webdav? Any suggestions on how to wrap a java application so that a user clicks on a url and it installs. Don't most corporate firewalls block .exe files so is it an msi?
Eusebiu

Re: How to make one package for multiple servers

Hi,

The "Web Installer" package type available in the Builds page creates a small EXE that will download its resources from a web site at the installation time. In the "MSI's URL" text field must be written the URL where the application will search for the resources.

In order to read more about this type of package you can read the How do I create a web-based installation package article.

Let us know if this helped, otherwise give us more details about your scenario.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
digitalrinaldo

Thanks for the reply.

I can think of two options to run a java application that is triggered from the web, assuming that I can't install and run at the same time because I need parameters to be passed and the only way to do that is with a mime type.

1) I couldAdvanced Installer to Install an application that uses jnlp files. I guess my question and answer is obvious I just need to run javaws install shortcut as a post processing step. So that the application that was installed by the advanced installer is registered using a post processing step so the browser can run the application with jnlp.

2) Second option is to register a new mime type that triggers the advanced installer and then reads the file, I assume the file name would be passed as argument one. The second option is preferred but I am not clear on what signing does to avoid the dialog a user is given about do you want to run this application when they are presented with the mime type.
Bogdan

Hi,

I am not sure I understand exactly the methods you explained above. However, what Advanced Installer can do for you is to create the MSI or setup EXE package. You can
choose to have a full package containing all the files or a web installer from Builds page in Advanced Installer.

How do you run it from a browser is not related to the installation.

Now, regarding signing, I assume you refer to digitally signing the package with a code signing certificate. This can be done from Advanced Installer too , from Digital Signatures page. The purpose of this is for your correct application and company name to appear on the UAC prompt that appears to the user. Also, this is a standard included by Microsoft
starting with Vista, and often applications not digitally signed are considered a threat by the OS.

Best regards,
Bogdan
Bogdan Mitrache - Advanced Installer Team
digitalrinaldo

I understand how you can say the web part is not related but I am not happy about embedding the MSI url in the application. This means I have to make a different package for each server. It should be able to default off the host name of where it was loaded from.

About the signing. I signed the application with a self signed cert. At the bottom of the screen when I try the web installer. I get a message about this is not a commonly run application on windows 7. How do I get rid of that?
Bogdan

Hi Rinaldo,

Can you please give me a screenshot with the message, so I can see exactly what you get?

Best regards,
Bogdan
Bogdan Mitrache - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Building Installers”