wavering

VB6 Program Installs and Runs OK in WinXP but NOT in Win8

Right now I am using the Professional Version during the free trial period

I have managed to install my application on another Win XP machine and it works fine. I have now installed it on a Win 8 laptop and everything looks fine but when I click on the icon there is just a flicker of recognition but nothing happens!

So, is this likely to be a problem with the installation or of incompatibility? In other words do I concentrate on the INSTALLER or on the CODE in my VB6 application?

Thank you in anticipation :(
Daniel

Re: VB6 Program Installs and Runs OK in WinXP but NOT in Win

Hello,

I'm afraid I don't fully understand your scenario. Can you give us more details about your behavior (maybe exemplify)? Also, can you try to manually run your application on the related Windows 8 machine?

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
wavering

I am narrowing this down a bit now!My VB6 application installs OK on another Win XP machine but when installed on a Win 7 PC, the application fails.

I find that the problem is a Microsoft DLL, namely shlwapi.dll. I assume that this is because it cannot find it in the Sytem32 Library or maybe is looking in SysWOW64 and finding an incompatible version or some other reason.

So, as an experiment, I tried installing shlwapi.dll in the same folder as my application and that seemed to work (but not now)

So, is this an INSTALLATION problem (in other words, can I solve it by changing something in Advanced Installer). Or is this just a programming problem?
Daniel

Hello,

Please keep in mind that you should be aware and decide what requirements should be fulfilled on target computer in order to properly run your application. Also, in order to achieve what you want you can add the related shlwapi.dll file in your installation project (e.g. in "Files and Folders" page) and configure it to auto register.

Let us know if this helped.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
wavering

My problem boiled down to failing to set autoregister and now my application works basically on Win7. In particular, it needed the .ocx files registered

Thank you

Return to “Building Installers”