MillDol

Installer for a web app on Windows 7 (or higher)

I have a web application implemented in ASP.NET MVC3 and SQL Server 2008 Express. It's relatively small so I can deploy it in local computer of my clients (Windows 7 or higher).

Currently, I deploy it manually by create new web site in IIS, copy published files to the folder of website, install SQL Server 2008R2 and use Management Studio to restore database with some initial data.

What I want is an automatic installer that do the following things:

Install SQL Server 2008R2 Express and restore the initial database.
Install IIS7 (if it's not enabled in Windows 7).
Create a new app pool (V4) and a new Web Site use this pool. Then copy published files to the folder of the Web Site.
The installler can run aspnet_regiis command and grant permission for NETWORK SERVICE account to TEMP folder. This is required for web site to run.
The installer can copy some fonts to Font folder of Windows.

After googling and reading documentation of Advanced Installer I can't find a thorough solution to try.

Please give me some advice on this. Thanks in advance!
Daniel

Re: Installer for a web app on Windows 7 (or higher)

Hello and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

Thank you for your interest in Advanced Installer.
Install SQL Server 2008R2 Express and restore the initial database.
In order to achieve this you can use our "SQL Server 2008 R2 Express" predefined prerequisite package. Also, you can take a look on our "Creating Database Instance" thread which could be useful for you.
Install IIS7 (if it's not enabled in Windows 7).
I'm afraid we don't have predefined support for this. However, in order to achieve this you can create your own custom action for this. You can take a look on "Using pkgmgr to install IIS 7" article.
Create a new app pool (V4) and a new Web Site use this pool. Then copy published files to the folder of the Web Site.
For this you can use our "IIS" support. Also, you can take a look on our "IIS Tutorial" article.
The installler can run aspnet_regiis command
You can configure the ASP.NET version from "IIS page -> ASP.NET tab -> .NET Registration section". Please keep in mind that in order to successfully apply .Net Registration, you should set the "Managed pipeline mode" field to "Classic", form "IIS -> Application Pool -> Application Pool tab", of the application pool associated with your web site.
and grant permission for NETWORK SERVICE account to TEMP folder. This is required for web site to run.
In order to achieve this you can go to "Files and Folders" page select the "Windows Volume -> Temporary" folder and using its "Properties..." context menu option add the related permissions on "Folder Properties dialog -> Permissions" tab.
The installer can copy some fonts to Font folder of Windows.:
You can take a look on our "How do I register a Font?" article.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”