danielCSW

Two Free/Professional (pre-sale) Questions

I'm in the process of testing out Advanced Installer and just getting familiar with the product. I have two questions at this point (still reading through the docs and playing with a simple install).

1) Is it possible, with the Free or Professional versions, to do the following:

I need to install TWAINDSM.DLL to a specific system folder based on the machine being 32-bit or 64-bit. If the OS is 32-bit I need to put the file in the System32 folder; if the OS is 64-bit I need to put it in the SysWow64 folder.

How/where do I add the conditions to the file so it gets copied to the correct location during the install?

NOTE: The application I'm installing is currently 32-bit only; but the DLL I need to install needs to be in a specific folder based on the OS (32-bit or 64-bit).

2) Can I add my own variables to the installer and populate those at build time? I've got CruiseControl.NET running for continuous integration and want to be able to build the installer after my build completes. I'd like to be able to substitute some source paths at the point where I kick off the installer build. For example, the source file location on my development machine is D:\TRUNK\Code\Builds\Release but on my build server it might be C:\Software\Code\Builds\Release. So I'd like to configure a [ROOTDIR] variable and use that in the installer.

Thanks in advance!

Daniel
Bogdan

Re: Two Free/Professional (pre-sale) Questions

Hi Daniel and welcome to our forums,

Thank you for your interest in Advanced Installer.

1) This is done by default in a 32 bit package, you don't need to do anything special. Just create a new empty project and add the file in Files and Folders page,
under the predefined folder called System.

2) For this we offer our path variables support, especially designed for your situation.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Best regards,
Bogdan
Bogdan Mitrache - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
danielCSW

Thanks for the quick response Bogdan! Exactly what I was looking for.

One more quick question, can you downgrade a project from Professional back to simple? While playing around with my project I added the "Organization" feature to check some things out and it looks like an auto-save updated my project. I found the project type but even after removing the organization feature "Simple" is grayed out.

Thanks again.

Daniel
danielCSW

Hey Bogdan,

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't get the PATHS VARIABLE stuff to work.

Here's what I've tried:

1) Converted project to PROFESSIONAL (can't be done in simple from what I see)
2) Clicked the CONVERT PATHS wizard
3) I see all the paths for FILES and ICOs in my project
4) The "Show paths that cannot be converted" checkbox is selected by default
5) If I try and uncheck some portions of the paths for my main EXE for example, it unchecks everything up to "COMPUTER"
6) If I uncheck the "Show paths" option then all the files disappear from the list and I'm left with just "COMPUTER"
7) I've also tried to play with the OPTIONS->PROJECT PATHS and OPTIONS->PATH VARIABLES with no change to the above

I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong, but don't know what at this point. I'm also assuming that once I figure out the above that I'll be able to get to the PATH VARIABLE edit dialog somewhere.
Bogdan

Hi Daniel,

Unfortunately downgrading a project is not supported.

Regarding your path variables problems. First you need to define a path variable for the location where your files are stored, that you cand
do from Options -> Path Variables, using the New button.

After you have defined the path(s) you can start the wizard from Files and Folders page.
6) If I uncheck the "Show paths" option then all the files disappear from the list and I'm left with just "COMPUTER"
That is because you have no path variables defined, or the project is not including files from location declared in the defined path variables.
5) If I try and uncheck some portions of the paths for my main EXE for example, it unchecks everything up to "COMPUTER"
That is normal when the files are on the same partition. If you would add files from different partitions this would not happen.
However, I fail to understand why do you want the EXE to not be refered by the path variable, is this located separately? If so, you can define another path
variable for that location.

Best regards,
Bogdan
Bogdan Mitrache - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”