mbelsey

Windows XP, IIS, Deploy .NET4 MVC3 web app

Here is the scenario if anyone can help me.

I have a .NET 4, MVC3 web app that I want to deploy to Windows XP SP3.
I need to install IIS 5.1 and I have written a batch file that can do an unattended install.
In order to install IIS 5.1, I need to ensure the necessary files exist in the i386 folder and I am including these in the project.

Here is what I have done:
I have included the web app files and they end up in a folder under program files right now, but I suppose they should be under inetpub eventually.
I included the i386 folder with the files I need for IIS 5.1
I included a batch file that I want to have run right after the files are all copied to the appropriate locations, but this doesn't seem to happen in the right order for me.

If it worked properly, the batch file would run right after files are copied to the locations I specified.
When I run this batch file, it sets up IIS properly and registers APS.NET with IIS

As far as dialogs go, I want it to be a silent installer that sets up IIS with my batch file initially, sets up the virtual directory under default web site etc...

Am I barking up the wrong tree here? Is this something that can be accomplished?

Thanks in advance.
Daniel

Re: Windows XP, IIS, Deploy .NET4 MVC3 web app

Hello and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

Thank you for your interest in Advanced Installer.

In order to achieve what you want you can launch the related BAT file as a custom action. For example, you can use a "Launch file or open URL" custom action with sequence, scheduled after "Install Execution Stage -> Add Resources" action group, which will launch your BAT file. Also, the custom action should run as deferred with no impersonation.

Let us know if this helps, otherwise please give us more details about your scenario (maybe exemplify).

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
mbelsey

Thanks very much for the help.

I had almost everything set up as described, but hadn't set the action as deferred with no impersonation.

It seems that this was the solution.

I look forward to learning more and more about this installer and implementing it in several projects.

Thanks again.
Daniel

You're welcome. I'm glad you got this working.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”