BenKell

Advanced Installer & Active Setup - Missing Option?

Good Afternoon All -

I've got a challenge that I'm working on where I am creating a package to not only add HCKU Registry keys when installed, but have them install for all users on the workstation. I've found instructions on how to do this in WISE MSI Editor, but seem to be missing a key MSI creation option when trying to translate the instructions to Advanced Installer.

The option I'm looking for is "Re-install all per-user based registry keys" which is in the Administrator Options of WISE.

To understand what I need it for, here's what I'm trying to do / testing currently:
  • 1. Create new package with HCKU Registry key(s) imported
    2. Made it a Per-User Only package
    3. Copy the GUID from the package I'm creating
    4. In text editor, created a new registry file with the below text using GUID from step 3

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{DA81F89B-B341-43ED-8ACB-A086A1196AB1}]
    @="Configure the Proxy Server for IE"
    ComponentID="ProxyIE_setup_03"
    StubPath=C:\windows\system32\msiexec.exe /fu {DA81F89B-B341-43ED-8ACB-A086A1196AB1} /q
    Version="1,0,3"

5. Import registry file created in previous step into package
    6. Save & build
Link to Complete Instructions
http://www.symantec.com/connect/article ... -user-wind

In theory, the package will re-run / re-install the first time each user logs into the workstation in which it is installed upon. I've tested it, but can't get it to work. I believe it may be because of the missing option "Re-install all per-user based registry keys" listed above.

If so, I would be golden if I could find out how to resolve it in Advance Installer.

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!
Bogdan

Re: Advanced Installer & Active Setup - Missing Option?

Hi Ben,

This can be done very easy, using advertised shortcuts, we explain the steps to do it here: http://www.advancedinstaller.com/forums ... f=2&t=4627

Best regards,
Bogdan
Bogdan Mitrache - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”