R.Mueller

Hash of unversioned files missing

Hi,

I try to build hash sums for some unversioned files in my setup (to detect during patching, that the file hasn't changed) - also I enable the Hash Files option in the ribbon and ... that' it?

I rebuild our installer and noticed, that there is no "creating hashes" step in the built list (but the manual says, that hashing can dramatically increase the build time). Curious after that, I checked out the msi file with Orca and it does not contain a MsiFileHash table.

Do I need to mark the files somehow, I would like to build hash sums for?

Regards,

Roland
Dan

Re: Hash of unversioned files missing

Hello Roland,

Indeed, this seems to be an Advanced Installer issue. A fix will be available in a future version of Advanced Installer, thank you for bringing it to our attention.
Also, until then, if you need this fix you can send us an email to support at advancedinstaller dot com and we can send you a RC containing this fix.

If you have any questions please let us know.

Best regards.
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
R.Mueller

Hi Dan,

I am glad, that I could help you finding this issue. I will write to support in case of further steps to get it running locally.

Regards,

Roland
Dan

Hello Roland,

This was fixed in version 10.3 of Advanced Installer released on June 26, 2013.

Best regards,
Dan
R.Mueller

Hi Dan,

I checked that with Advanced Installer 10.3 and the last version of our setup. I still have the same user experience as before, nothing has changed, no extra messages during building the installer, no extra time need. All is the same as compared to turn this option off. Also the table 'MsiFileHash' is still missing.

Is there a problem with my setup or something broken while fixing this bug on your side?

Regards,

Roland
Dan

Hi Roland,

I'm not sure why you encountered this behavior.
Also please notice that this is the default behavior of the Advanced Installer, the "MsiFileHash" table is not imported in the "Table Editor" page, so can you please open your .msi with Orca and see if the "MsiFileHash" table has been added?

Best regards,
Dan
R.Mueller

Hi Dan,

I noticed in the past, that some internal msi tables might be missing in AI's table view, so I posted the result of examining the final msi with ORCA. The MsiFileHash table not in there.

Do you want to see a screenshot or log file to verify that?

Regards,

Roland
Dan

Hi Roland,

Can you please use the latest version of Advanced Installer(Vs 10.3) and see if the behavior persist?
Please make sure that the “Hash Files” option from the toolbar is enabled. Rebuild your project. Does the behavior persist?

If it does, can you please give us a detailed test case scenario in order to investigate?

Best regards,
Dan
R.Mueller

Hi Dan,

while reading your last post, I was wondering a little bit about it. Then it came to my mind, that the problem could be connected with my project file. So I created a new project, added some files, enabled Hash Files and checked the resulting msi file with ORCA: MsiFileHash table is in there. I checked again with our project: its not there. I checked the AIP files, both project files contains the lines:

Code: Select all

<COMPONENT cid="caphyon.advinst.msicomp.MsiFileHashComponent">
    <ATTRIBUTE name="HashFiles" value="1"/>
</COMPONENT>
So, I assume that the issue is fixed with AI and HashFiles works in general. Unfortunately it seems not to work with older files, which are migrated to 10.3. Or I could have used a special option somewhere, which prevents AI to build hashes.

Did you check on your side with an older project?

I think, you might need my project file now, shall I send it to support?

Regards,

Roland
Dan

Hi Roland,

There is a issue if you use the “Build” command in your package with the version (10.3) of Advanced Installer even if the “FileHash” option is enabled, you may get no result when the cache is used. A fix will be in the next version of Advanced Installer. I'm not sure if this is your case.

If it is, in order to avoid that, you can use the “Rebuild” command and this will get away.

If the Rebuild command didn't solved the problem please send us the .AIP (project file) to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it.

Best regards,
Dan
R.Mueller

Hi Dan,

I have tried it with the "Rebuild" command, to make sure, the package is recreated but without success.

I have sent the project file to support.

Regards,

Roland
Dan

Hi Roland,

Indeed, this seems to be an Advanced Installer issue. This is happening when the “Mixed 32/64-bit matching the platform” option is selected for the “Package Type”.

A fix will be available in the next version of Advanced Installer which will be available soon.
Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

If you have any more questions please let us now.

Best regards,
Dan
R.Mueller

Hi Dan,

thanks for your help and finding this issue. I will give it a new try with the next version of AI.

Regards,

Roland
Dan

Hi Roland,

You're welcome. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan

Hi Roland,

This was fixed in version 10.5 of Advanced Installer released on September 02, 2013.

Best regards,
Dan

Return to “Building Installers”